Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Strategic Planning

Level 1
Hello, We have been using Workfront for the past year, and are just starting to implement our strategic planning projects through Workfront. Our executive team likes to create working documents to brainstorm and build out strategic initiatives. Attached is an example. I'm struggling to find an efficient and effective process in Workfront to capture the feel of this working doc. Is anyone doing this type of process in Workfront? And, do you have any tips or tricks for strategic planning processes in Workfront? Thank you! Marcie Long Members First Credit Union
2 Replies

Level 10
Marcie, I am not doing strategic planning in Workfront, however, you have some options to consider 1) attach this working document to the documents area - using check in and check out 2) create a custom form 3) create a project with fields that match those on your working document Thanks. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Hmmm, this is a loaded one as there are many directions you can go. You can simply continue to use that document if you want to maintain the look and feel. I doubt WF will help you retain that same process vibe you're used to. However, if the team is open to changing the process, there are several things you can do to house this information and prioritize the projects, etc. in WF and have everything in one place. What we did was create a request queue for project ideas, then the PMO would review each request to verify that it's valid and not already in progress, etc. If it passed the test, we'd convert it to a Project and add a Business Case (under Project Details in WF) which includes all the known details and some estimates, etc. We also had a Project level custom form for some important items (like perhaps what you have in your Word doc). Then via a WF report we would bring up all the projects with these custom fields and sit with the Business reps (we're IT) and allow them to evaluate and prioritize the project list in a top down order. Then this allowed us to compare against our budget to see which projects make the cut. Then we simply assign the project to a PM and start rolling. Or put it On Hold if it didn't make the cut. But that's just one way to go about it. I'm sure others have done it differently. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT