Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

resource scoping from legacy system to WF

Level 7
Hello all, We are moving from our legacy project management system to WF on Jan 2nd. I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for how to allocate our budgeted hours from our projects in the old system. Worst case scenario we can manually keep track with spreadsheets until those projects close, but I didn't know if anyone else ran into this when switching systems and may have a way of accounting for those hours in WF? Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com
5 Replies

Level 10
I would import your project plans from your legacy system into WF. It's relatively easy to do if you were using MS Project. Or if you can somehow get the information into Excel from that older system. What were you using before?

Level 7
The system we have is inMotion. We can export into excel, but we do not have licenses for MS project. It would have to be a manual import of all projects from inMotion into WF. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to recreate every open project that will carry into the new year... Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 10
Actually if you have them in Excel you can use Workfront's Kick Starter to import them into WF. I haven't used the Kick Starter since we bought WF 4 years ago, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in on how to do it. It can be pretty easy, but usually takes a little time to run, tweak and re-run a bunch of times.

Level 10
Yeah, the kickstart works OK, but as Vic said it's a little fiddly at first. What level of detail do you want to import from the other system? Just a high level summary at the project level, or detailed records of all tasks, hours etc? If you want a lot of detail (several object types), then perhaps @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore can offer one of their import solutions. The API is always another option, but only if you've got some fairly technical people available. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 7
thank you guys! I will discuss with our team an evaluate what option works best for us! Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com