Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Resource Scheduling

Level 8
Hi, I submitted a help ticket two weeks ago to Workfront support, and I've yet to get a great answer/anything resolved, so I'm reaching out to the community. I'm curious to know if anybody else has trouble using the Resource Scheduling feature. If you do, I'd like to know how you're working around it. Here's my issue: When trying to schedule unassigned work, I find it very hard to see who is available for the task at hand. The unassigned task shows up at the top of the list, and all resources are grouped by role below it. Swapping makes it easy to pick a role and then assign a user, but if the user is at capacity, then it's not as helpful. I feel like it would be easier to be able to filter someway, i.e. show me only the resources available for a given role. That way I can easily compare their availability with the task to see if there is a resource available OR if I may need to adjust the task dates if there isn't a resource available. I've attached a screenshot and a video in case that helps demonstrate my issue. Thanks in advance, Jenn Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures
7 Replies

Level 8

Disregard the screenshot above (that was for another resource related issue). Refer to these two screenshots instead. Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures0690z000007ZiSaAAK.png

Level 10
Hi Jenn, My understanding is that if there are multiple unscheduled tasks, when you click on one of the tasks, the users with that role will move to the top of the list. The missing functionality which I presume you want (and we do too) is that people with the role who are actually available come to the top of the list. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 3
I agree that the missing piece is a filter for those with the bandwidth. Taking it a step further, to me the big missing piece is the ability to view the available capacity for each user. I don't just want to be able to filter for available people, I want to see how close to capacity they are. That means I need to see their available hours or those hours already committed. That's a bigger ask than just wanting to see users with capacity. Without that functionality, I don't really find this tool all that useful. Am I missing something here? Michelle Yard Insperity

Level 8
Hi David - Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the list of resources change when you click on an unassigned task. That's very helpful info to know. I wish Workfront would do a real life project set up webinar to walk through all the new resource scheduling and planning features. But yes, I would love to see people who are actually available. It's hard to compare a task to the resources.. you have to scroll down and then up to compare.. just doesn't seem very userfriendly. Hi Michelle - I 100% agree! We rely heavily on the legacy resource planning grid right now to sort of accomplish what you're talking about. I'm curious if you also use the grid, or have another workaround. Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 8
FYI - I've posted this to the idea exchange here: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004508413-Resource-Scheduling-Filter-for-A... Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 8
Michelle, there is an option to show the total assigned hours per day If you click on the little cog wheel in the top right corner, you have a number of options You then get to see for each person how much work per day they already have Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
I've voted for this - cheers David Cornwell