Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Reporting using start date and end date from 2 different tasks?

Level 1
I am trying to create a report that uses the WEEKDAYDIFF expression to get a day count, the trick is I'm trying to do it based on the start time of one task and the end time of a completely separate task. My first attempt was to create a custom form for each task that referenced the start date from one task (Start Date DHA Onsite) and then the end date for another task (Actual DHA Draft Report Completion). I added the custom created task form to each task and confirmed it was pulling the intended date for the project. I then created a report filtering for those two tasks and confirmed the same dates were showing within the report. From there I created a custom text column with the expression below trying to use the dates from the custom task form fields i created. However, I appear to be missing something as it does report anything. Guessing expressions don't work with custom created fields or possibly something is wrong with my syntax? displayname=Week Day Difference textmode=true valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({Start Date DHA Onsite},{Actual DHA Draft Report Completion}) valueformat=HTML I also tried the same by creating a custom task form and using a calculated field with the same expression, however that one did not report anything either. Any ideas? Chris Guffey Lewellyn Technology
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Chris - I think the core issue is that calculated fields can't calculated from one equivalent object to another (task to task). I'm wondering if you could do this calculation at a parent task level though, by putting both of the tasks under the same parent task. David Cornwell

Level 1
Hmm, that's an interesting thought, though would make things difficult as it would nestle those tasks together when they really are not....but that would be an appearance thing I guess. I was hoping by creating 2 custom fields that pulled dates that it would get around the problem of not being able to interact with 2 different tasks, but that does not appear to be the case unfortunately. I wish it would give some error or you could have a special interface to test the expressions and give you feedback error messages so you might have some clue as to what the problem is other than just a blank. Chris Guffey Lewellyn Technology

Level 3
As someone else has stated task to task or issue to issue or project to project reporting is not really doable with WF - you have to take one step up in the data structure hierarchy before you can aggregate that data. It's a bit ugly but I solved this in a different way - We make heavy use of templates and custom forms. Our templates have task and project level custom forms 'pre-attached' that support this functionality. I added a custom field to the task to indicate that it was a task who's values I wanted to use elsewhere Sample of 'markers' that can be set at the task level I created additional custom data at the project level to hold the values I am pulling from the tasks Sample Custom data on Project Page Finally I created custom calculated data at the project level to hold the values Sample Calced Data I use Azuqua to read the task data - and if it finds the 'marker' I specify, it pulls the task data I want and 'sends' it to the project. (you could hand key it otherwise) Once the data has been populated at the project level the calculated field 'does it's thing and I get a value I can report on elsewhere... Like I said - ugly but it works - I use it to measure key 'intra project' events between tasks. It would not scale if you wanted to measure very many tasks - too much work to set up and maintain. Jim Brown FujiFilm Medical Systems, USA

Level 1
Wow lots of great info in there, but not sure I'm completely following exactly what is doing what. So you have custom forms at the task level as well as the project level. Are you referencing the project level custom fields to the custom fields at the task level or are the project level dates (based on the task level) being populated by azuqua? BTW, aququa looks very interesting setup a demo for today, that is something we really need to connect our salesforce and Workfront so thanks for that heads up as well! Chris Guffey Lewellyn Technology

Level 3
So the task level custom form field is used to set the 'marker' that Azuqua reads as a task to process. The data is collected and calculated at the project level also in custom fields. Azuqua can monitor changes to tasks and process as needed. I use the flag to 'tell' Azuqua to pull (read the task) data and push it to the project custom form. I use WF to do the math (in custom fields). I have been using Azuqua for a little over a year now and have found several ways it makes my life easier. Primary justification was to get SF data into WF without manual intervention but now we use it to send data to SF too. We can chat about it offline if you care. Jim Brown FujiFilm Medical Systems, USA