Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reporting: Prog/Portfol Shows 100% Complete: Projects Not Completed

Level 10
Is there a reason why programs show 100% complete when projects within are still in the works? Note: some projects within Program are complete but others are not. I can't seem to figure this out.
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Susan, I suspect that the reason it shows 100% complete at the Program level is because 100% of the planned hours (work) in the projects is complete. You may have some tasks still in progress which have no planned hours....or the project status may still be current, but 100% of the tasks with planned hours are complete so the Program's completion is shown as 100%. Regards, David

Level 10
Hi, David! I'll go back and review to make sure planned hours are in place. I would've thought that each task had to be completed (marked complete) for a true reading whether hours were applied but guess not. Thank you for your help. Susan

Level 10
Hmmm, I added planned hours to all the projects within the portfolio; portfolio is still showing 100% complete even though some projects are not complete.

Level 5
Susan, Start by looking at the percent complete on the projects by using a view that contains that field when looking at the project list in the program.The Program percent complete is a rollup of all the projects within the program. So if your projects are showing 0% complete, the program will as well. Workfront can calculate Percent Complete for projects based on duration or effort (planned hours) depending on your settings (setup>Project Preferences). So definitely check that out. Groups that don't estimate effort need to have something to work with, so duration works.

Level 5
One other thing that may effect the Program percent complete could be the project status. If the incomplete projects are in planning, they may not be included in the program calcs, though I am not sure on this one.

Level 10
Hi, Marty. We have it defaulted to Calculate Percent Complete based on Duration not Planned Hours. Should it go to Planned Hours instead? We have % Complete always visible. At this point in time, the roll ups are not effective. Thank you.

Level 7
It depends on how you want to portray percent complete. We have ours set to "Planned Hours". Say I have the following: Task 1 - Dur = 20d, Planned hours = 40 and %cpt = 25% Task 2 - Dur = 10d, Planned hours = 40 and %cpt = 80% If I use Planned hours to calculate % cpt, then I'm at 52.5% cpt (25% of 40 Planned hours for task one = 10 and 80% of 40 = 32. 10+32=42 and 42/80 (total planned hours) = 52.5% If I use Duration, the I'm at 43.33% (25% of 20 days = 5 and 80% of 10 days = 8, so 5+8=13 and 13 of 30 (total duration) is 43.33.

Level 5
A couple of things couple be at play. Be sure to look at the % complete of each of the projects. I've seen some people have all 0 duration tasks, then try to force dates to push the timeline. Then when each task is completed, it is still a 0 percent complete until all are complete. I've also seen some cases where recalculating the timeline (project actions -> recalculate timeline) takes care of a multitude of problems.

Level 10
We use Duration as the setting for percent complete. I figured it out, I think, and it was a simple change in the Chart Summarized By field. I was using Maximum which was pulling all the 100% complete. Since projects were at various stages I used 'average'. Now, it balances the overall status of the Programs and Portfolios. Thanks for all your help.

Level 10
Thanks, Marty. I changed the report chart Summarized By field to 'average' and it brought in the overall percentage for Programs & Portfolios. I was using Maximum prior..something so simple. :)