Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break next week on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Reporting on Reports

Level 9
Hello Reporting Gurus, My Workfront instance is shared among a number of agencies that operate (mostly) independently, but all roll up to one main set of executives. We each launched WF on our own timelines and maintain our own reports and custom forms, which has resulted in what can only be referred to as a mess of similarly named, similarly functional but ultimately incompatible form fields. And NOW we're looking to consolidate this information so it all coalesces into reports for executive oversight. If I were to retire and delete these old fields (taking care to update legacy projects to include data from a new, universal form field), is there a way I can create a report to show all of the legacy reports that used the fields I plan on deleting? Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group
7 Replies

Level 5

Hi Anthony,

I feel your pain, and I only deal with one instance. I can't see a way to actually report on this -- I'd be curious if someone else figures that out. What I do to audit fields, the reports they are found in, and even dashboard the reports are found in is through Views.

For Fields & Forms , go to Setup, Custom Forms. (See attached.) You can track down where a field is being used, if at all. For Report usage, go to Reporting, Reports. Toggle All Reports on (in the left nav). Change your View to "Report Usage". (See attached) The usage metrics are very helpful. I'd like to know if anyone knows if we can show Field & Form usage also.

Hope this helps! Brian Brian C. Mauger Bloomberg L.P.0690z000007ZhgvAAC.png

Level 4
I don't have an answer, but I could also really use this feature. We just replaced our Universal Form with a new and improved New Universal Form...we undergo this process about every 2 years because we continue to change the way we operate and priorities change. I have not been successful in finding a way to pull all the reports in our system that pull custom fields I plan on sunsetting. If I could, it would save a lot of time in change management. What I have done instead, is instituted several things: Governance on Reporting - if a report is not updated for more than 13 months I mark it for deletion. It helps keep our reporting inventory low so I don't have as many reports to worry about when I'm going through these maintenance cycles. I have created a Workfront Community of Practice called Workfront NATION. We meet bi-weekly. We're a group of champions in the company that are responsible for changes as well as their Workfront use case in Equifax. They are responsible for communicating changes and impacts to their end users. So, when we change our Universal Form as well as custom fields, they must inform and prepare their end users about the change and impacts. Which means, they must tell their end users to update their reports if they are using any fields slated for retirement. We also have a Reporting Admin who is the owner of the executive reports. Alternatively, I have her make the changes to the custom form so she is intimately familiar with the data fields to be retired or to be updated in reports. Finally, I created a project report that pulls in all the old fields I'm retiring. If I can see if the fields are being used, then I can make sure that team's Workfront Champion takes care in preparing them for the change and communicates the reporting impacts. Being able to create a report that shows which reports pull certain custom fields would be amazing. It would take away a lot of risk around implementing change. Jaclyn Reiter, PMP, SA Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives Equifax, Inc. St. Louis, MO 314-684-2693

Level 10
Hi Anthony, What about exporting the old reports to Excel or PDF to hold them for posterity? Or creating a new one that has everything you need, and then exporting it?

Level 10
Hi Anthony, To help reveal, discuss, and confirm the impact of removing custom data parameters in advance (since deleting them is a one-way ticket), I invite you to consider our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/report-all-report-details/">Report all Report Details solution as "Exhibit A" in such conversations. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 6
Hi Anthony, the following may help: A few months back I created a Report of Reports. In this report I added the following columns: Column 1: "View: Definition" This column essentially displays the text mode code contents for every column in the corresponding report's view. displayname= linkedname=view namekey=view.relatedcolumn namekeyargkey.0=view namekeyargkey.1=definition querysort=view:definition textmode=true valuefield=view:definition valueformat=HTML width=300 Column 2: "Grouping: definition" This column displays the text mode code for the grouping on the corresponding report. displayname= linkedname=groupBy namekey=view.relatedcolumn namekeyargkey.0=groupBy namekeyargkey.1=definition querysort=groupBy:definition textmode=true valuefield=groupBy:definition valueformat=HTML width=300 Column 3: "Filter:definition" This column displays the text mode code for the filter on the corresponding report. displayname= linkedname=Filter namekey=view.relatedcolumn namekeyargkey.0=filter namekeyargkey.1=definition querysort=filter:definition textmode=true valuefield=filter:definition valueformat=HTML width=300 Once these columns are created, you can use the Ctrl + F function on your browser to look for a specific field on the report. One thing I haven't tried that might be less cumbersome though is taking the valuefield's from the columns above and constructing a filter to look for the field you are interested in. This might look a little something like this (please note: I havent tested this method): view:definition=Test field view:definition=cicontains Hope this helps!!!! Justin Renteria SSFCU

Level 5
Unfortunately the view:definition doesn't work as that field is a map to an underlying action. What you can do (and it isn't elegant) is to build a report on report that lists out all the definitions. Expand your list to 2000/all and then Ctrl+F to find your field names. You can then check/delete each report. Here's the 3 column definitions: Adding Definition Columns: Filter Definition, Grouping Definition and View Definition Filter Definition: displayname=Filter Definition textmode=true valuefield=filter:definition valueformat=HTML Grouping Definition: displayname=Grouping Definition textmode=true valuefield=groupBy:definition valueformat=HTML View Definition: displayname=View Definition textmode=true valuefield=view:definition valueformat=HTML Melinda Layten Technical Project Manager - API and Integration Workfront

Level 9
Thanks all for your responses! This is going to be a bit of a long-term project for me, definitely bookmarking to circle back. Thanks again! Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group