Expand my Community achievements bar.

PTO showing on scheduler

Level 8
Okay - I am officially losing it. I submitted a tkt for this, but WF is saying it is working as designed. When a user has scheduled time-off on their calendar, did it not used to show the allocated hours on the scheduler? Currently, we are just seeing a gray box which gives no indication of how many hours the user is out that day. I thought I remember it showing the amount of PTO hours at the top of scheduler for this. Please confirm or deny my insanity... ‚òª Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com
6 Replies

Level 10
I can neither confirm or deny your insanity �� as I haven't worked with this area of the tool a whole lot. But I thought (keyword though, as I'm not sure) it would show zeros like your screen shot to indicate nothing is "scheduled" for that person. It didn't matter whether it was because there's PTO there moving the task out or if they just didn't have anything scheduled. And it didn't really display PTO, just what was scheduled task-wise for that person. But again, my memory isn't, oh what's the word.... ��

Level 8
well played Vic. ‚òª If this is truly working as designed though, then I am unsure how useful this feature really is. It displays a gray block whether you are off for 15 minutes or the entire day. How would a resource manager know to still assign tasks for that day?? Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 10
I don't know what used to show there but right now the functionality is: the number totals are for Planned Hours, and PTO isn't considered a planned hour for some reason :) so ... right now it's working as designed. -skye

Level 10
Hi Brandon, I agree. I wouldn't think it would gray out the whole day if only a portion is blocked off. And that's not what I'm seeing in my environment. I went in and added a task for myself with 3 days Duration (24 Planned Hours) starting today. I added PTO for myself for tomorrow from 9am-10am. It's showing what I would expect (it books the other 7 hours for that day and moves that extra hour to an extra day essentially making it a 4 day task). Is it possible you have a Schedule blocking out that day? Or check the PTO again. I changed the PTO 3 times from a full day to 9-10am and it didn't seem to stay until I removed the full day completely and then added the 1 hour off.

Level 8
Vic - you are 100% correct. It does not prevent me from scheduling tasks for a date that still has open availability. However, if you are looking at the scheduler without any knowledge of a users schedule, you would see the gray block and assume they are off that whole day. They is no indicator that it is a partial day. Therefore, it is really a game of trial and error. It doesn't seem very effective to show me a day is blocked if it is only a partial day. Does this make sense? I would never know it was a partial day unless I already assigned the task. If I have a rush project that needs done the same day, I would skip right over that user b/c it appears they are off that entire day. It would be great to know they were just off in the AM or just in the PM. I will put this together for an enhancement on the idea exchange. Thanks for looking into this one! Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 10
Ah, yes, I got ya now. Yeah I'll vote for that. I guess I typically don't use the scheduler to schedule people because in our department we're usually given our team for a project. So I'm usually stuck with the one person for a role and have work around their schedule.