Expand my Community achievements bar.

ProofHQ vs Workfront Approvals on Document Versions?

Level 5
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could assist Setup We are using Workfront as our document server and routing these documents through ProofHQ for approval. Issue The approval system for Workfront does not communicate with the approval system for ProofHQ. But the interface does not specify that they are two different systems. So users are updating the Workfront approval area (found in the details pane, with the document selected), in an attempt to update the status of the Proof. This works well enough with a single version, but with multiple document versions (created by using More>New Version), the Workfront Approval does not reset, but the ProofHQ approval does. So on version 2 of a proof, Workfront retains the version 1 feedback, and the users are under the impression that version 2 is also approved, unless they bypass the obvious approval area and go to the Proofing Details to confirm (which is a lot to ask). I've told users to ignore the details area, in the interim.. But am i missing something? Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a workaround to make the talk to each other? Help! Thanks, Saher Almaita
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
Our team also noted the differences between Workfront Approvals and the ProofHQ workflows. Our choice (or solution) was to discontinue use of the Proof workflows, as well as start conversation with the ProofHQ team about what a hardship the current setup is for our users. Since we had already been using Workfront Approvals, our existing process already has guidance in place for our users. There is always someone who is in charge of collecting the approvals, and it's that person's responsibility to re-submit later versions to earlier reviewers if they deem it necessary. Since we don't always request our earlier reviewers to re-review everything, it would be difficult for us to have the Workfront Approvals re-set themselves all the time. If you have regular cadence calls with your Workfront CSM, you could make them aware of how you use your system and ask if it's possible to have a chat with the product team for Workfront Proof (as it's now called) to see if there's anything on the roadmap which would make things easier on you. @Erik Cullins gave a great session during LEAP2017 and may also be able to suggest something. -skye

Level 7
This is something that we have struggled with. Firstly, it's not at all obvious that Document Approvals and PHQ Approvals are 2 separate things. Comments made on Document Approvals do not apply to PHQ proofs and vice versa. We exclusively use PHQ for proofing and we were seeing that some of our users were incorrectly making comments on the Document instead of inside PHQ . I can't say that I totally blame them because there's no difference communicated in the UI and Document Approvals is that you see first. In fact, I was completely unaware of the concept of Document Proofs until I spent some time with a PHQ rep at the last LEAP conference. We have since created internal documentation which illustrates the correct way within our environment to mark up and approve proofs. Basically, we don't want anyone to ever use Document Approvals. If you're going to try to use Document Approvals alongside PHQ approvals you might be working outside of the intended use. Based on my previous conversations with PHQ, my understanding is that most people either use Document Proofs or PHQ Proofs and not both at the same time. My advise would be to try to figure out a way to exclusively use PHQ Proofing and forget the Document Approvals , they don't work well together and my understanding is that it will probably stay that way. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 5
Thank you Skye and Richard for your replies. It's good to know we are not alone! For the moment I am telling the teams to avoid the document version section. I've communicated the issue to our CSM, and have created a post on the Idea exchange. A simple fix would just be the option to turn it off, hopefully they can add the feature. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115003501154-Workfront-Document-Version-UI" title="Idea Exchange">Idea Exchange Thanks, Saher Almaita

Level 7
My idea, and our PHQ rep seemed to agree, is that Document Proofs disappear upon PHQ proof generation. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Former Community Member
>> Document Proofs disappear upon PHQ proof generation. YES. Or, we have a setting at the System or Project level to disable Document approvals, so users have only one avenue. William Dodson MaineHealth