Expand my Community achievements bar.

Project Status by Team

Level 2
Project Status by Team I'm trying to put together a dashboard for a VP and I'm stuck on this report. I want to show the teams that roll up to this VP and where the project status falls for the projects for each particular Team. I'm close but I cannot choose Home Team Name but can only choose Home Team ID which gives me a number that is not very helpful for the VP (see attachment). I've tried to adjust the code under grouping but when I do that it just groups all of the teams together.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

29 Replies

Level 7
So you want to group it by the "Home Team" of the "Owner" of the Project? What if you just did it by Owner Name? I know there's an easy way to show the Home Team name in text mode, I'm just not good at that so someone will be responding to that, I was just wondering if giving the Home Team name was more informative than giving the Owner Name.

Level 5
Any time you have an id and want other information, I also set the column to the id, go to text mode and replace the id with .name So for valuefield=HomeTeamID it would be valuefield=HomeTeam.Name On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 7:25 AM Greg Beck < reportingforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > So you want to group it by the "Home Team" of the "Owner" of the Project? > What if you just did it by Owner Name? > > I know there's an easy way to show the Home Team name in text mode, I'm > just not good at that so someone will be responding to that, I was just > wondering if giving the Home Team name was more informative than giving the > Owner Name. > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 2
I did that but we have 4 teams made up of 40+ individuals. At the VP level it would be better to see the teams vs 40 ppl. Thank you for the suggestion!

Level 2
I did replace ID with Name however when it rolls to a chart it won't carry over correctly like the data does. I get all Teams grouped in one column on the chart. See attached image.

Level 10
Hi Carmen. From your last screenshot, I'm wondering...did you inadvertently now group by the VP's Home Team, causing everything to then collapse into that one value? If so, I suggest you go back to the version on your original screen shot, but change the grouping in textmode from TeamID to Team.Name. Regards, Doug

Level 2
Thank you for taking a look Doug! Here is the code I used for grouping where everything was lumpped into one: group.0.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.ProgressStatusEnum group.0.enumtype=PROJ group.0.linkedname=direct group.0.namekey=progressStatus group.0.type=enum group.0.valuefield=progressStatus group.0.valueformat=val group.1.linkedname=owner group.1.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.1.namekeyargkey.0=owner group.1.namekeyargkey.1=homeTeam:Name group.1.valuefield=owner:homeTeam:Name group.1.valueformat=string textmode=true

Level 10
Hmm...that kinda looks right, Carmen -- owner's home team name -- but let's dumb it down a little and go with owner's name first, instead -- I'll bold the changes: group.0.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.ProgressStatusEnum group.0.enumtype=PROJ group.0.linkedname=direct group.0.namekey=progressStatus group.0.type=enum group.0.valuefield=progressStatus group.0.valueformat=val group.1.linkedname=owner group.1.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.1.namekeyargkey.0=owner group.1.namekeyargkey.1= Name group.1.valuefield= owner:Name group.1.valueformat=string textmode=true How many columns in the chart appear, using the above? Regards, Doug

Level 2
I'm still getting the same one column. I must be missing something this seems like it should be an easy report to produce....

Level 10
Hi Carmen, I posted a similar query a while back and received a response that it is not possible using custom or calculated groupings to get the result to display on the chart groupings. https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/post=1004#p1004 Unless anyone else has any suggestion, I expect this will need to go to Workfront as a feature request. It does seem a little crazy that you can't do something as basic as grouping by a Team Name on a Task or Project report though, so hopefully there are some other ideas out there! Regards, David

Level 2
Thank you for reaching out David! It is odd that this isn’t simple. I’m going to log it with our platinum help and see if I can get any traction. If not then it should be an enhancement. Carmen P. Hendrych, HMCC Sr. Events Manager Trade Shows and Events 404.338.3495 telephone 404.734.3551 cellphone 855.412.6700 fax McKesson Corporation Customer Success 5995 Windward Parkway Alpharetta, GA 30005 www.mckesson.com http://www.mckesson.com Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Level 10
Hi Carmen, How did you go with logging your query? My ticket is still open with Support, but no news yet. Regards, David

Level 10
Hi David, Yeah, we ran into this end of last year. If you make any changes to the groupings in text mode, you lose the ability to use the Summary or Chart functionality. The only exception I've found is grouping by Start or Completion date (by week) on an Assignmnet Object type. I put in an enhancement request for this to be changed and would love it if other people did too so that it would get bumped up in priority! I did it in two parts either 1) Customized grouping display on charts, or at a minimum 2) any ID field should also have the Name field so we can use that. Who groups by ID field?

Level 10
Hi, I have received feedback on my incident and it has now got to the 'Submit a Feature Request and Pray' status. More concerningly, the feedback is that they don't expect to make changes in this area for some time. I just can't believe that for all of the fantastic things Workfront can do, it (and therefore I) can't provide our business' management with a simple chart grouped by Team Name or Group Name??? But I CAN provide them a chart grouped by a meaningless Workfront Team ID??? Do I really need to export data to Excel to achieve this? If it is already possible to group by a Team ID then surely it shouldn't be hard to group by a Team Name? If it is relatively simple I would hope that Workfront product management could give us a quick win on this one.... :-/ Regards, David

Level 10
David, from the ends-justify-the-means department... Could you add a Project Level calculated field that pulls the Team Name (or Group Name) "down", and in turn, report and chart using that persisted value to achieve your goal? Regards, Doug

Level 8
Funny Doug, I was just testing a similar idea, except it was a calculated field on a User Form to pull the Home Team Name. - It didn’t work.

Level 10
Hi Doug, The title of this thread may be a bit misleading regarding my own purpose. What I really want to do is chart values from a set of tasks and group them by Home Team Name or Home Group Name. So, I have had a play around with a Task calculated field but can't see how to reference to the Assigned User's Home Group Name. What I have so far is: IF(ISBLANK(Assigned To ID),"None",assignedTo.homeGroup.Name) Previously I have only been able to reference a field on a parent from the same object type - not from another object type. Any ideas? Cheers, David

Level 10
Sigh. My iPhone ate my verbose reply, David, so I will wait until tomorrow morning to elaborate with a POC and blog link, but (as my wise friend Adina alluded to), in case this cryptic clue sets you on the path, I invite you to consider: IF(ISBLANK(Assigned To ID),"None",assignedTo.{DE:Home Group Name In English From User Object Calculated Parameter}) I beg you to rename that Parameter, if you do get it working. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi Doug - I see where you're going with this....I have tried doing what Adina did (I think) but it won't update the Home Group Name into the calculated field on the user object. The syntax I had was CONCAT(Home Group.Name,"") I also tried as just: Home Group.Name Anyways, see how you go if you have any further info/ideas in the morning! Cheers!

Level 2
I believe they have combined mine with yours. The more interest we get in this the more likely they will speed up the enhancement. Carmen P. Hendrych, HMCC Sr. Events Manager Trade Shows and Events 404.338.3495 telephone 404.734.3551 cellphone 855.412.6700 fax McKesson Corporation Customer Success 5995 Windward Parkway Alpharetta, GA 30005 www.mckesson.com http://www.mckesson.com Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Level 10
Hi David. I am delighted to confirm that I have a solution to allow Task Reports to be grouped by Assignee Home Team (or Home Group, or Primary Role), which I am writing up as a blog entry, and will post a link within the hour. Regards, Doug