Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

People assigned to a project

Level 1
I want to create a report that can tell me every "project" a person is on. The only one I'm able to do now lists every "task" the person is assigned to on the "project" but not the project itself. We just want to see how many "projects" a person is assigned to (not their tasks). Is there a way to do this? If so, can you please share the report filters. Thank you! Diana Diana Warren True Value Company
12 Replies

Level 4
Diana, As long as you are referring to people who are on the People tab under Staffing of the project you can do a Project Report and filter on either name, home team, or home group under the heading Project Users. This will pull all projects where that person or people are part of the "Project Team". Is this what you are looking for? David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Partner

Level 10
Hi Diana, To create a project report that lists only those projects to which the currently logged in user belongs, I'd suggest this filter: projectUsers:userID=$$USER.ID projectUsers:userID_Mod=in Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
Hi Diana, We use a similar report for our users to see what projects that they either are assigned to or the project owner of. Here are the filters we use for the Projects Report: Assignments-Assigned to ID - equals- $$USER.ID Project Status- equals- Current OR Project Owner ID - equals - $$USER.ID Project Status - equals - Current We also have this report so that it defaults to the milestone path view for our users, don't know if you use milestones but our users like it because they are able to see all the projects they are on/project owner of and what milestone the project is at and what is the percent complete on that milestone. Jessie Dantin Mercy Health

Level 7
Hey Jessie, Just a heads up, using Assigned To as a filter will only show objects where the user is the owner of. So, for a task that has 2 assignees for example, say you and me, and I happened to be the owner, it wouldn't show for you. The workaround is to use Assignment Users instead. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Hi Jessie, I used your filters and it works great! Thank you so much! I also want to thank everyone that replied to my question so quickly, I appreciate it! Diana Diana Warren True Value Company

Level 4
Hi Dustin, Thanks for the heads up. But when I tried to update the filter my Projects Report the Assignment User wasn't an option. I know on the Task Reports that I have created I have been able to use Assignment User and it pulls in all the tasks that maybe the user isn't the owner of but still assigned to. Is this something that Workfront can add to the Project Report filters? Thanks, Jessie Dantin Mercy Health

Level 3
I have a report I can run to show a specific user's assigned projects, but I'm wondering how a "$$user.ID" report (one that the logged in user runs) would differ from the Projects I'm On view under the Projects tab. Just interested in learning if there's a different use case or actually different data pulled. Michelle Yard Manager, Marketing Operations Insperity Houston, Texas

Level 9
I believe the "best use case" would be for a shared dashboard view -- aka creating a custom tab via the user template screen, and dropping in a dashboard. Which to your point yes would duplicate the functionality of the native Projects I Own screen. BUT for many users being presented with that custom dashboard might find it more useful - especially if you can display other report types in tandem. Just my take on it.... as they say I'm sure there are many ways to leverage this ;-) John Seitz ESPN/DTCI John.W.Seitz@disney.com

Level 7
I don't want to plug holes in this if it is working for you, but this does not work in the scenario where a user is assigned to multiple tasks on a single project. We actually had WF look into this and they could not provide a report that would show a number count of how many projects a specific user is on. The user can leverage the native "projects I'm on" view, but a manager would have to run an assignment report then export to excel to filter out the duplicate projects. That is the only way we can get a true count of the number of projects a user is on. I am hoping I am wrong and someone has a solution for this within the tool. Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 10
Hi Brandon, To create a project report that will show a number count (namely, the grand total of the rows returned) of how many projects a specific user (e.g. the currently logged in user) is on without double counting a project where the the user is assigned to multiple tasks (and/or Issues, incidentally) on a single project, I invite you to use the following textmode filter: EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=EXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=ASSGN EXISTS:a:assignedTo:ID=$$USER.ID EXISTS:a:projectID=FIELD:ID Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 7
Hi Jessie, I know we're looking at revamping the reporting system, but I do not have an ETA on when that will happen. That said, you could book some time with our consulting team to explore options, or if you're comfortable with text mode, you should be able to reference a collections for the task assignments. Here's a help article that discusses how to use collections in reports: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000586214-Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report And I believe the field you'd use on the task level would be assignmentsListString, but I'm also not a reporting master.. I'm around a 6/10 here, which is why I recommend our consulting team. You can contact your Account Executive for a quote for a small block of hours. Thanks and good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Hi, I just want to let everyone know that the filters Jessie provided are working fine for me. I am on at least 3 tasks on 200 jobs that are "current" and when I run this report it only lists the "project" once, not 3 times even though I have 3 tasks on a project. I ran these reports for 10 other team members and the job comes up only once even though they are on more than 1 task within the project. Thanks, Diana Diana Warren True Value Company