Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need ideas for dealing with lost predecessor tasks using the Legacy Gantt chart!

Former Community Member
Hi Workfront Community, We're experiencing an issue that while working in the Legacy Gantt (which our PM’s use 99% of the time) that upon opening a task in a new tab and posting a simple update message that our predecessor task numbers are wiped out when we go back to the Gantt chart again (previous tab). We’ve tried using the Task Tab view as well but we have the same results in both IE & Chrome browsers. Client Support tells us there is a bug and to hit the Refresh button as a work around; they are not actively working on fixing Legacy Gantt bugs as they are developing a new Gantt chart. If we hit Refresh quick enough, most predecessors are restored but not all. This is causing havoc in our business as resources are getting notifications due to date changes (lost predecessors), baselines are wrong, reports to our executive and project teams are inaccurate not to mention our project managers are having to rework projects multiple times and becoming extremely frustrated. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions on how to deal with it? Thanks in advanced for any assistance. Lena
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
Egads. That sounds horrible. I didn’t know it was doing that. I’ll be watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for posting it. Eric

Level 4
Thanks, Lena, I have not seen that yet, and am loathe to test it with a live project ;) I will warn my team as we use Legacy Gantt a lot too.

Level 10
Lena, assuming the bug is on the Legacy Gantt page vs the user-opened Task tab, would adopting the convention of turning the Legacy Gantt's Auto-Save checkbox (bottom left) OFF be of help? Regards, Doug

Former Community Member
Hi Doug, Yes, I turned off the ‘auto-save’ but it still happens and still no resolution from client support. I’m just surprised if this is really only happening to us or if users aren’t utilizing the Legacy Gantt anymore. Thanks for the suggestion, let me know if you can think of anything else, it’s very frustrating. Thanks, Lena

Level 10
Hmm: that's unfortunate, Lena. Let me try another angle. Do you happen to create your Projects from Templates? If so, you might consider our Sync Template AtApp, which (among other features ) would allow you to sync the Predecessors on the Template Tasks out to the Project(s) that need to be repaired. That's not why we built it, mind you. Knowing when your Templates are ready to roll out (especially your first few) is normally a rather daunting decistion to make: no one wants to jump too soon, and then have to correct a shwack of Projects manually afterwards! So, the intention of Sync Template is to give people the freedom to Just Get Going with Templates, knowing that they can then improve the them as they Get Smarter and sync out to in-flight Projects. However, if in this case, you can use it to recover from a bug that might be around for a while, I'd be equally pleased. Regards, Doug