Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Need help with reporting of team-assigned work

Level 6
I need to create a report that shows tasks and issues assigned to the TM team rather than a user that enables the TM team mgr to edit inline to delegate work from the team to a specific user An Assignment Report shows work assigned to the team, but I'm having trouble with the in-line editing piece. Suggestions on using an Assignment Report for this use or recommendations for another type of report that provides task/issue visibility for team assignments AND is inline editable. Thanks! Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA
9 Replies

Level 8
Hi Catherine, I think in order to inline edit the task, you'll have to use a task based report instead of an assignment report. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 6
Thanks @Kirsten Heikkinen the drawback is that lose visibility to any issues assigned to the team. Also, I'm running into problems filtering tasks just assigned to the team. Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA

Level 10
Following this. I am also wondering why I can't inline edit an assignment report. I realize now that I am using fields from the Assigned To section rather than Assignment which means they aren't in the same object, but there is no such thing as an Assigned To Report. The Assignment fields only have ID's and not names so that's not useful. I tried task and project reports and both require the use of Collections to get the data I need, and that can't be sorted so that's the problem with that. I did open a ticket to find out if there are any other ideas on how to do this.

Level 7
Hiya Jill and everyone! Kirsten is spot on, you can only inline edit objects on reports for that object type. In the original scenario, you can't inline edit issues and tasks on the same report. You would need an issue report and a task report. Jill, you would still need to do the same process and have an issue and task report, as collections cannot be modified. For teams, you could create a task report, and use the Assignments column to inline edit and add/remove a team. Multiple teams cannot be assigned to the same object. Assigned To would work for filtering, though you'd actually want to use Task> Team. One last tidbit, most "ID" fields can be changed via text mode to show the name of the object by finding valuefield=whateverID and changing it to valuefield=whatever:name (valuefield=assignedToID -> valuefield=assignedTo:name) Good luck all! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
@Dustin Martin - thanks for this. Will we ever have the ability to assign multiple teams to the same task???? Pretty please with sugar on top! :) Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 6
Thanks @Dustin Martin I think that is the crux of the issue. Because a team could be assigned on a task or an issue, from a visibility perspective, seeing those combined work assignments in one place is critical for team managers. The Assignments report fits this need well. I understand the reasoning of why inline assignment editing does not work on the Assignment report, but from an efficiency perspective, asking team managers to use one report to see work they can move from the team to a specific user and then two other reports to make that assignment changes feels like an overly complicated solution. Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA

Level 10
A "My Assignments" report gives you a good comprehensive view of all work, and would probably work well for charts and metrics. Assignments reports can also take into consideration the "Done Statuses/Done With My Part" part of the assignment, which is valuable. In-line editing across objects doesn't occur anywhere in the tool that I'm aware of. We've rolled out a combination of dashboards, including "My Active Issues" and "My Active Tasks" dashboards to give users the ability to adjust the assignments in more of a work-management presentation and less of a comprehensive view of work assignments.

Level 7
Hi Katherine, I can't confirm or deny that ability. What I can confirm is that I've seen the request quite a bit over the years. Have you gone to the Idea Exchange and upvoted (or submitted) an idea for it? ;) Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 7
Hi Catherine, I was going to suggest a dashboard, but that wizard Narayan beat me to it. I totally understand the desire and need for a single location, so I suspect a dashboard should suffice. The big issue right now is how our system interacts with the database. The database is the reason why we can't inline edit on other objects, and Assignment is considered an object.. :( Being a support guy, not a developer or database admin, I'm not sure if it's possible to make the change, though I would highly recommend an idea in the Idea Exchange.. no harm in submitting something there. =) Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront