Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Multiple Roles

Level 2
We were hoping that Workfront would help us manage limited resources through Job Roles but we can't seem to do what we need. The issue is that we have resources who can function in multiple roles at any given time but we don't want to limit their allocation to any single role. To illustrate, we have Project Managers and we have Business Analysts who can assume a project management role. We were planning to assign multiple roles to those resources so that they would be available for task assignments requiring either role. For example, I want to be able to assign a BA resource to a PM tasks 100% for three weeks, and then I need them to work on a BA task for 100% the following week. But there is no way to assign two job roles (primary and a secondary) at both 100% so how can I achieve the ability to have them available as either role at 100% at any given time? I appreciate that this would make it difficult to report on capacity by role but I'm much more interested in having the scheduling flexibility. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe Kovacs Canandaigua National Bank & Trust
1 Reply

Level 3
I think I understand what you are asking here, but let me say it a different way to see if I have it right. You are looking to have people available to work as two different types of roles during different points of time in a project. And, you are not performing capacity planning by role, but by person. So, if that is the case, the percentages you are assigning to a user do not really apply as you will not look at the resource planning tools by role. Therefore, a best guess percentage will work, as long as they sum to 100%. You can then use the team views and staffing views within the people area of Workfront to determine the loading of a named resource either by hours or sheer number of blocks beside a single person. And your assignments will be easier as your roles will help you down select to the people that are allowed to perform a given task in a template or project (via role). I hope this helps. Thanks, Dale Whitchurch Dale Whitchurch Arthrex Inc