Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Moving documents from an issue to a project

Level 1
Sheena - we had this problem as well, and we have enough turnover in my marketing department, that I felt it would be best to auto-delete the original issue to avoid these confusions. That has worked well, however, you can't make any mistakes on your conversion (make sure you bring over that form!) and you cannot run reports on the original request form. I like to capture how many requests we receive, so not being able to run that report has been a headache, but I would rather that than to keep explaining the difference between the original issue vs the converted task/project and moving docs / updates to the correct location. You can read more about the pros and cons on this thread: "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=0d8fd1eb-afa3-4168-8567-748f2a247b6f&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bm0d8fd1eb-afa3-4168-8567-748f2a247b6f" https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=0d8fd1... Tara Carey Neustar, Inc.
9 Replies

Level 7
Hi Sheena, I'm not sure that there's a way to do this directly because the work is being done on a different object within Workfront. We have trained our users to instead work with the ongoing projects instead of the requests, we communicated to them that updating the requests does not update the project and the information is not being sent to the right destination. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 1
Thank you, Richard. That's good to know. Our department, Marketing, is the only department in our organization that uses Workfront. Other employees have been given a request license type to submit project request to the Marketing department but I believe their access level doesn't allow them to contribute on a project. We've had a few instances where the requestor went back into the request after it had been converted to a project and added documents. Sounds like we'll just need to direct our clients to send the documents to us. Thanks again! Sheena Dold

Level 4
Sheena - we had this problem as well, and we have enough turnover in my marketing department, that I felt it would be best to auto-delete the original issue to avoid these confusions. That has worked well, however, you can't make any mistakes on your conversion (make sure you bring over that form!) and you cannot run reports on the original request form. I like to capture how many requests we receive, so not being able to run that report has been a headache, but I would rather that than to keep explaining the difference between the original issue vs the converted task/project and moving docs / updates to the correct location. You can read more about the pros and cons on this thread: "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=0d8fd1eb-afa3-4168-8567-748f2a247b6f&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bm0d8fd1eb-afa3-4168-8567-748f2a247b6f" https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=0d8fd1... Tara Carey Neustar, Inc.

Level 10
This is the reason we don't save the Issue once it's converted into a Project – it was too confusing to have two duplicate "things" hanging around. Jill

Level 7
We had a lot of issues of people not using templates to convert from issue to project which meant that custom forms were not transferred. If we had configured our system to delete the issue we would not have been able to go back to the issue for a do-over. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 2
Hi Sheena, we keep our requests intact for clients to make updates and upload new files, since they don't have access to the projects. Our process is to add the project owner to the issue/request once the project is converted. Then they will generally get any new updates from the client, including new document uploads. If a new file gets uploaded, you can move the file from the issue to the related project using the "move" option under the "more" menu on the documents tab. I'm not sure why they don't let you copy files directly from one object to another?!? We also use an external file management system (via SharePoint). In that case, you can copy a new version of the file, from the issue, directly into the related project folder using the "send to" option, also found under "more" on the documents tab. We also use the Workfront Outlook app. That allows us to take emails, including attachments, and add those to existing objects in Workfront. Hope that opens up some new options for you. Cheers! Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 6
We also have a Notes report that monitors when someone makes a comment or document upload (attachment action) on a request that's been converted to a project. NOTES REPORT Issue > Resolving Object Type EQUAL Proj Note > Audit Type EQUAL Note;Attachment Action We went a little bit further and attached a Status Timestamp field onto the original issue to track when the issue was converted to a Project. Then we added a filter to only show notes/attachment actions after the conversion time. We made the timestamp for when the issue had the status "In Progress", since when you change the resolving project's status to "Current", it makes the issue's status "In Progress". From there, the extra filter would be Issue > {Your Timestamp Field Name} LESS THAN Note > Entry Date In text mode, it's DE:opTask:Your Timestamp Field Name=FIELD:entryDate DE:opTask:Your Timestamp Field Name_Mod=lt I've included the instructions below for making a timestamp field. Displaying a Status Time Stamp in a Custom Form Navigate to a Custom form where you want to add the field. Add a Calculated Custom Field to the form. Specify a Label for the Custom Field, for example: Status Timestamp Custom Field . Click Save+Close . Re-open the Custom Form, and select the new Status Timestamp Custom Field. In the Calculation field, specify the following calculation for your Custom Field: IF(Status='INP',IF(ISBLANK({DE:Status Timestamp Custom Field}),$$NOW,{DE:Status Timestamp Custom Field}),{DE:Status Timestamp Custom Field}) NOTE You must always use the three letter key for the Status in this calculation. For more information about the keys for Statuses, see "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668458" "Creating and Customizing Statuses in Workfront." Click Save+Close . You can then report on the Status Timestamp Custom Field, or use it in other calculations in reports or Custom Fields. NOTE that if your status changes to INP, then another status, then back to INP, only the timestamp of the first change to INP will be captured. Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Community Advisor
Hi Sheena, You can move the documents, but it's a manual process. It's not ideal for dealing with a lot of issues, but it's saved me a few times. :-) Select the documents you want to move, click on More > Move > Move To: Hope that helps! Sheri Sheri Whitten Gordon Food Service

Level 7
Although I really like Vincent's solution, there is an easier way to get notified. There is a notification setting that sends when a request/issue you are assigned to has a doc uploaded or modified. If you activate "Request Document Add to Issue Assigned To", you should be good to go. I like Vincent's approach b/c you could always look back at the report and sometimes an email alert could be missed, but this is another route you could go. I hope that helps.... Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com