Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Master Timelines

Level 4
Hello! Has anyone figured out a work around for a master timeline so that your project managers are only updating one project, rather than 20. We struggle w/ how to set this up because we want to report on individual 1:1 deliverables within the total initiative. We want to know each asset's individual Actual Hours, #of rounds , and statuses because they can be unique even when the initial plan was to operate on the same timeline. Has anyone found a strong best practice for this? Thanks! Lila Whitney Discover Financial Services
3 Replies

Level 10
not to sound obvious, but doesn't the cross-project predecessor relationship create a master timeline? Am I misreading? -skye

Level 7
Hi Lila, It sounds like you're wanting a master project with sub-projects. Workfront doesn't currently offer this functionality, though I believe I've seen this suggested on the Idea Exchange. I know we're also working on resource management on higher level (Program/Portfolio?), but I don't have any further info on that.. While updating many projects is time consuming, it does result in more accurate data. You may want to consider working with our consulting team to see if there is anything in your processes that could be tweaked to make your user's experience a bit easier, less work, better reporting, things along that nature. You can reach out to your Account Executive to inquire about purchasing a small block of consulting time. I believe they come in packs of 4 hours, which should be plenty for this. Good luck! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 4

Hi there - I know this was a while back but I was looking for sub-project info because I can SWEAR, I've done a main project, with all the sub projects but can't figure out how I did it.. That being said, if you haven't figured out a way for your team to accomplish this, I've done something for mine w. dashboards/reports because I hate them having to go to all the projects and different systems for their updates. You can do this from a Project and/or Task level by building a filtered report, adding in the fields you're wanting to update, sorting preferences, etc. per person or team. Then you can add it to a dashboard, create a custom tab and they have all their info in one spot and can edit it all straight from there.