Expand my Community achievements bar.

Looking for awesome use cases for Custom Fields!

Level 9
Are you a master of Custom Fields? Have you used them to improve your processes, or improve your workflows? I'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and give me a quick summary of how Custom Fields help you manage your projects and/or team. Nate Bagley Community Manager Workfront natebagley@workfront.com | 801.477.9712
16 Replies

Level 2
We use custom fields and custom forms on all of our projects. We have built in creative briefs and we use custom fields to document different versions and store signs. Shelly Long Pier 1 Imports

Level 2
We use Custom Forms to collect appropriate information for Creative, Web and Email requests. The Custom Fields on the forms allow us to be able to pull specific information entered into reports and review with leadership teams. For example, one of the questions we ask on a Custom Form is: What type of request is this? Project, Feature, Initiative, Bug. We cab pull in the number of Projects, Features, Initiative or Bugs into a report to share how many bugs were submitted in a given period of time. Jolene Casey

Level 10
We use custom forms and custom fields exclusively in Workfront. Some data captured in Custom Fields. 1. Project Submit Date (this has to occur before the planned completion date) 2. Project Clock in Date 3. Client On site visit Date 4. Calculated custom field - States Client operate in ... which output POAs for each state 5. Calculated custom field - Tracking each time Submit Date change 6. Calculated custom field - Tracking each time Planned completion date change 7. Custom selection field for services selected I have created 114 custom fields on the custom form ... so i can't list them all ... Maybe is you can be a little more specific in your request, I can give more information on the other custom fields... Thanks... Benetta Perry APS

Level 4
I live in Custom Fields to build awesome custom reports for my customers. Major use cases: Displaying specific fields from inaccessible objects in reports, such as the name of the Program Owner on a task or document report. I include a custom form on the project that captures the program information. I always call these field _, so Program Owner_ or Portfolio Name_ to separate on reports. Calculating Business Rules - Combining select fields and business logic to create calculations for reporting. If A and B is true, then C. Lots of nested IFs and CONTAINS Capturing Business Information - If you want to report it, it should be in a selection field. Custom Notes fields - Fields for individuals to summarize object information in-line on a report or dashboard. Smart request forms - Selecting a field at the top of a form requires additional information to be required as you fill in a form. Auditing fields - Hidden admin or manager only fields to audit business process Error Displays - Display warning text if 2 conflicting options are selected. Manager Hierarchy - Display all of the user's leadership for reporting. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
Nate, Custom Forms/fields have completely eliminated 90% of all paper forms. It has provided 100% consistency across Sales Representatives. Everyone now provides the "exact" information in the "exact" format. There is no out of date forms - that is 100% eliminated - the custom form gets updated 'real time' as needed. All executive reports and metrics are now possible due to the use of custom fields - we customized and capture the data - important to the executives and the health of the business and the bottom line profit. Custom Forms/field have completely eliminated 100% of all spreadsheets. All departments now communicate thru workfront - no more emails - no more chats - no more sticky notes - the custom forms and templates in this case - made that possible. Our process is 100% improved for efficiency, eliminated duplication of efforts, eliminated dropped balls, opened up visibility into who is doing what tasks, and allows us to determine when that task is completed - so the next task can begin ... Custom forms/fields - opened up a new smoother operating environment for us. Benetta Perry APS

Level 2
We have large deployments - upwards of 40 teams working in concert to deliver Epic to hospitals and physicians organizations. For each one, we have a variety of reports and activities that require task /issue/risk status from those teams; each report has a different audience and purpose. Today we have 5 -6 different groups that meet with each team weekly or biweekly to collect status on their particular subsets of tasks & issues. The volume of and redundancy within the meetings is a particular pain point for our teams. We created a set of custom fields for tasks and issues - the first is a multi-select drop down of the different reports/meeting agenda's that require status-ing. For each option, we've added a comments field. The teams identify the tasks and issues in their projects that need to go on each report and status their tasks as usual. The owners of each of the reports get a report that has all the items identified for their particular report with the teams' status comments side by side with their own comment field. That way they can adjust the comments for their specific audience. The final reports are then generated from the adjusted comments. Meetings are being reduced by a factor of 5. Now folks can focus on the issues that need attention in a holistic fashion - collecting all interested parties at once. It's probably the biggest efficiency gain of our implementation. Suzy Park Partners Healthcare System, Inc. ePMO Tools and Methods Lead

Level 9
We use custom forms for key job information like our job number for filling time sheets and job specifications, but also to collect data that we can use for other reporting purposes. Our clients are Pharma companies, so our main project form includes the product and therapeutic area, allowing us to use that information to generate hot sheets for the account teams. We can also use that information when we are pitching for new business- I can run a report and quickly find every project we've ever done in any given field. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 3
Custom fields for everything. EVERYTHING. :) We have retail store associates submitting requests to a design team, so a custom field on each user "calculates" their location code for billing purposes. All of our cross-department billing is done with custom fields, populated from the request: One form is visible only to the requestor, with extra instruction to help them fill out the form properly. One key field is product selection . A second form is visible only to the work team, using the same key fields (to display production instructions), but cutting out all of the requestor supporting fields. The product selection and additional design options (add a mail merge, recreate a logo) are verified by the work team to ensure correct (static) charges. A third form is visible to managers and above with billing calculations based on the selections in the first + second forms, as well as pulling in the location code from the Entered By ID. There are a few instances where product selection (which is the base of every cost calculation) is not needed, because the request type / form dictates the base cost instead. So, our calculations look for that first and product selection second. Custom fields absolutely make this an incredibly flexible system. I would LOVE to have the Custom Forms "tab" be a re-namable option in the system, OR, even better, visible in other locations/tabs, like dashboards . We practically ignore the Overview, and go right to Custom Forms for every single item we process. Jennifer Allen Staples, Inc.

Level 5
I have helped my company implement custom forms for many of the request processes/workflows within the Marketing sub-teams. We were able to pull processes that previously required multiple documents into one form or one form with different topics. We've are a tech company, so the products are everything and we've now been able to import (albeit manually for now) all of our product categories and subcategories into the forms which will create HUGE efficiencies now that the content team won't have to decipher incorrect entries or do the back and forth with requestors. We're so excited about the possibilities Custom Forms has provided so far and will provide in the future! Jazmin Allen-Collins Analog Devices, Inc.

Level 9
These are all fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Now I just want to do a Webinar on Custom Forms... Nate Bagley Community Manager Workfront natebagley@workfront.com | 801.477.9712

Level 6
Yes! Please – do a webinar on custom forms – I believe they're the most underutilised part of Workfront. Regards, Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 "www.Bakkavor.com"> www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com

Level 3
We live in custom forms and a webinar would be fantastic! A focus on advanced calculated fields would be especially helpful. Thanks Nate! Ondina Sturges Everyday Health Inc

Level 3
Webinar please! :) Jennifer Allen Staples, Inc.

Level 3
Do you also want use cases for custom forms? Holly Harvey, CBAP Corp of the Presiding Bishopric

Level 10
I kinda like the idea of a 30-tips-in-30-minutes webinar for custom fields, maybe with corresponding links to support pages that have info on how to do the thing you just talked about. I'm sure we can all help you with it by submitting the tips :) -skye

Level 9
Sure! That would be great. Nate Bagley Community Manager Workfront natebagley@workfront.com | 801.477.9712