Expand my Community achievements bar.

Link to Proof Comments from Notification

Level 10
Hi Help!!! I have a very upset Creative Director on my hands who is going nuts and I don't know what to tell her. This is the scenario: - Proof that is a 60 page PDF and has 500 comments - Christine is tagged with a question and gets a notification with the proof comment - Christine clicks on the comment in the notification and it opens the proof and brings her to the comment - The comment is on page 1 but the actual page in the PDF that the comment refers to, is somewhere else, who knows where - No matter where Christine clicks, the reference page never shows up, there is just this stupid gray line leading down down down that you can't figure out where it goes and can't easily navigate to it. What are we doing wrong? Here is what I wish, but can't make it work - The comment would appear next to its referral page if "current page" filter was on -- so the comment and the page would be aligned - However "current page filter" cannot be the default, it ALWAYS clears back to no filter with every single proof, so if Christine wants to find the comment, she has to set that filter, go back to her email and click it again. - Or, Christine has to go back to her email, see who tagged her and the comment #, filter on that person and then scroll scroll scroll to the correct comment Both these things are making her crazy, rightfully so. When someone is tagged dozens of times in a big document, it is completely unwieldy and time consuming. It seems that the click should take you to the comment AND the page it refers to. What ever are we doing wrong??!! Jill Ackerman
9 Replies

Level 10
my system isn't set up the same way yours is, so I probably can't help out a whole lot since I can't even replicate a lot of what you're talking about. For example, my notifications just take me to the Workfront updates stream. It doesn't even open the proof for me, so you're already one up on me there. However, where the comment is concerned, is it possible to click away (click on another comment) and then click back (click on the tagged comment) in order to bring the focus back to the page the comment was posted to? Even though I can't replicate anything, the one thing I do feel is that clicking on the comment normally brings you to the page the comment is on. I also notice that the page number is listed at the bottom of the comment so at the very least I feel like you should be able to go to the page navigator in Proof and put in the right page number to skip to that page. Obviously not ideal and Proof navigation could be better. I'm just trying to get your director in a better place while you wrangle things out with Workfront. -skye

Level 6
Hi Jill, This is a defect that we can replicate on our site. We'll try to fix it as soon as possible. As a workaround you should see an arrow on the bottom of the page https://screencast.com/t/UKarvwhZB that should take you to the comment. Andrzej Muca Workfront

Level 2
Andrez - like Skye, our notifications take us to the Workfront updates stream as well. and as Jill says, large documents and hundreds of tasks makes this very, very inelegant to find the comment in the proof from the updates stream. we've had to either ask the commenter to cite the comment number, or else filter by the commentor in the proof. how do we make it so that clicking on the comment in the notification opens the proof and brings us to the comment? please help, Tracy Tracy Brunet Costco Wholesale Corporation

Level 10
I'm glad to here this! However, here's another thing I hope you can help. I went to test this on myself, and when I click the "Comment" link in the notification, it takes me to Workfront, not the Proof (like Skye described). I believe there are 2 types of notifications that are generated from a Proof comment (one from Workfront -- treated the same as an @ Update; and one from Proof itself) and honestly I am now confused. I *think* I turned off my Proof comments because they were duplicative, and if I turned off the Workfront comments it would turn off ALL comments, not just the duplicated ones from a proof. So how do I get the notifcations that link directly into the Proof comment, without have two notifications come to me every time someone @'s me in a comment? Can I please get a rundown on the various ways to turn on and off directed @ comments from within a Proof? I can't seem to parse this out. Thanks Jill Ackerman

Level 6
Yes Jill you are correct. There are 2 types of notifications. One from Proof and one From Workfront. Only notifications from Proofs can take you directly to the comment in the Proofing Viewer. Many organisations disable Proofing notifications just not to have them duplicated. If you want to receive notifications with direct link, Proofing notifications need to be turned on. You can limit number of duplicated notifications by disabling Default email alert for users. -> https://screencast.com/t/fi7mzjqjDoUw. With this configuration Users should receive duplicated notifications only if someone tags them on a proof. Andrzej Muca Workfront

Level 10
Thank you for this. I am unable to access the screenshot, it takes me to an error page. Can you please repost? Thanks! Jill Ackerman

Level 10
jill, you can just take the period off the end of the url. -skye

Level 10
Thanks Skye, got it. Adrzej - This isn't working the way you describe. My setting in Proof is Decisions. I get the notification from an @ update comment in the proof as the one from Workfront, which does not take me to the Proof, it takes me to Workfront. Jill Ackerman

Level 6
Hi Jill, Can you confirm if you get this kind of notifications ? https://screencast.com/t/EKtsulv03FRg Andrzej Muca Workfront