Expand my Community achievements bar.

Limiting User Ability to Generate Proofs

Level 3
We renewed our Workfront license in mid-July. Previously, we had purchased separate WF and Proof licenses, but with the renewal, everyone now has a Proof license integrated with WF. Previously, through user setup, we were able to check a box that would give the people the ability to generate proofs. Now, it seems that anyone has the ability to generate proofs, which I see being a control nightmare. We only want the Project Managers and Admins to have the ability to generate proofs. When I reached out to Support and explained that I didn't want everyone to have the ability to generate proofs, they told me there really isn't a way to prevent it, and anyone with a Worker or Plan license can currently generate proofs. Further, they explained that this is as per system design. However, the Product team has said that such functionality where you will be able to remove users from creating proofs in integrated accounts is on their Roadmap. This response seems odd to me, so I was wondering how others are dealing with this situation? Chris Levitsky Guidemark Health
13 Replies

Level 8
Have you tried in Proof making it mandatory to put proofs in a folder, then only creating one folder that only the selected few have permission to? By default a folder is shared with the whole company, but you can change that. I don't know if it would work, and it would mean administering permissions in both WF and Proof but while your users could play around with the proof creation form they might not be able to save it. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 3
Hi Barry- That's an interesting approach. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 7
We have workers, planners, but also reviewers and requesters - those 2 roles do not have the ability to generate proofs at all and we have essentially unlimited reviewers & planners. This might be part of something called a Collaboration Package - not sure. Hope this helps! Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 7
Hi @Chris Levitsky On a users profile you have unticked We have the ability to use proofing but don't, and we find with the above option unticked no one is uploading proofs. Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 8
That's only for certain plans. It sounds like Chris is on a plan where every worker/planner automatically gets a license. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 3
That's correct Barry. All users have both Workfront and Proof licenses. We were told that over time, everyone was being moved to this type of plan, so I would have thought there would be something as simple as turning the proofing ability on and off. Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 10
Hi Chris - We feel your pain!! We currently only allow (and only want/need) Planners to generate proofs. Our WF Account rep has also communicated that once our current plan expires at the end of this year (current plan is called "Flex Select" along with "ProofHQ Premium") - we will need to 'upgrade' to what they call "Flex Editions" where every flex user automatically gets a Proof license. Of course, the new license will also cost a lot more. Currently we buy Proof licenses for <30% of our Flex users - so this is going to be a big cost increase for us as well. We are pushing back on this. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 7
We have a couple hundred people which are occupying free licenses as either a requester or reviewer, these are essentially the same thing since PHQ proofs can be shared with non-users. Reviewers have a little more access to the system I believe. All they can do is request, pretty much. We have these seats because we purchased some kind of "Collaboration Package" at some point, I'm not sure if this is something that they still offer but surely they must have something to address this kind of business need. This software was initially catered towards an IT help desk ticketing system right? Does everyone that calls in to the IT help desk own their individual project or have tasks assigned to themselves? After reading this I do have some concerns that they're going to try to change our licensing arrangement and take away all of our requesters. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 3
Hi Katherine - This definitely increased our cost as well. I just find it strange that they are pushing everyone towards this model, yet don't have a way to turn on and off a user's ability to generate proofs, which was possible under our own plan. Thanks, Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 10
I'm hoping the new pricing models will still include the unlimited Reviewers/Requestors.... That's a good question. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 1
Hi Chris Thank you for your feedback on the new licenses. When we originally released this we determined that the majority of our users that rely on proof creation fall within the Worker & Planner licenses which is why we moved away from selling proofing separately and incorporating it into a single license. We've since determined that there are customers that do require people with either a Worker or Planner license that don't necessarily require proof creation privileges As per your response and feedback from support, we have a roadmap item to extend our "Access Levels" that will allow you to create a custom worker or planner access level that does not allow proof creation. I do not have a firm timeline at present but we are aiming to introduce this in the next several months In the meantime, in addition to the other options provided you can disable auto proof generation. Although this does not fully restrict them from generating proofs it will prevent the creation of proofs on every content uploaded Regards, Etienne Bosch Workfront

Level 10
Hi Chris, If Et's suggestion to turn off auto proof generation is too broad (ie if the vast majority of documents uploaded do need proofs), perhaps you could leave that setting on, but adjust the Access Level(s) of such non-proof users by removing their permission to create documents...assuming that's feasible. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 5
Hi Chris, Thank you so much for your comment, I was not aware they were going to force this change to the licenses. I'm going to reach out to our sales rep to find out more. Aileen Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology