Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Iteration Report: Sum of Work Item Estimates (Points)

Level 4
Looking to refine an Iteration (Sprint) Dashboard. One of the reports I share is a pie chart of how many work items were completed per Brand (which is a custom data field). All good - works great. However, the more accurate information that we need is how many points (aka Estimate) have been completed per Brand (or project, etc.). I've been able to modify my views to summarize Estimate information using the following text: aggregator.displayformat=compound aggregator.function=SUM aggregator.valuefield=estimate aggregator.valueformat=compound This is the result: So I know that though Estimate isn't traditionally treated like any other number value, it can be aggregated. So the question is, how do I get the Estimate value to show in the Chart view? I'm currently operating out of a Task Report (all items brought into a Sprint are Tasks at this point). Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10
Hi Greg, Since you did a SUM of Estimate in your view, I'd suggest you change the View dropdown from "Record Count" to "Estimate" (sum), thereby weighting each pue slice by the total points. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
@Doug Den Hoed - you've got it! That's exactly what I'm going for. Trouble is, I've been unable to get "Estimate" to show up in the dropdown. What am I missing here? Greg Troester CHG Healthcare

Level 10
Hi Greg, Typically, by simply adding the numeric column of interest (e.g. Estimate, in your case) to the report's view with an aggregate (e.g. SUM) on it is all it takes for the chart to then allow it to be selected as a Value. If that's not the case, perhaps Estimate (being a more recent concept) is not yet tied in with the Workfront reporting engine. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
Thanks Doug. Looks like I've tried all there is to try, unfortunately! Off to the Idea Exchange I go to propose this functionality (after I check Beta) - it would be very helpful! Greg Troester CHG Healthcare

Level 7
Hey there - just looking for any agile scrum help and came across this....have a LOT of questions on functionality as far as backlogs and iteration reporting and info in general. I was also trying to run a comparison report / view on "estimated hours" (we don't use points") vs "actual hours" .... a lot of the tasks that populate the sprint come from a project template that has hours planned ...BUT- there are more stories/tasks added that are one-offs and therefor rely on estimates set when grooming backlog - and I know this can be done when you are actually adding the story but it sometimes gets overlooked. all this said....I don't think the "estimate" field I'm trying to include in reporting is the hours (it's an estimate of entire project?) are planned and estimated the SAME - can I just used planned and have it reflect accurate info?? Tegwyn Stockdale Workfront System Admin / Production Coordinator BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.

Level 2
Did you try grouping by the Estimate Field - I think your groupings are what populates that drop down box? Maybe? Suzy Park Partners Healthcare

Level 4
@Suzy Park - Grouping by estimate would give you a list of items that shared the same estimate. So, at best, you would get a chart that told you how many tasks were estimated at 1 point, 2 points, 3 points, 5 points, etc. It would still not answer the question: "how many points were completed for my brand?". The real issue is that Workfront does not classify the data attribute "Estimate" as a numerical value, so it cannot be summed, averaged, etc. Ultimately I ended up exporting the data and summing in an Excel spreadsheet. Not an ideal situation, but not a bad workaround. Greg Troester, CSM CHG Healthcare