Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

How to reset the "Due On" date for individual tasks to auto-update based on predecessor?

Level 2

What I'm looking for is a way to reset the "Due On" field to auto-update based on the predecessor that's been assigned.

Let's say you set up a project and set all the predecessors, but the date on several tasks are manually changed for any reason. Once you manually edit a "Due On" date, it won't auto-update no matter what predecessors are assigned anymore. 

Is there a way to reset it back to auto-updating? Screenshot with notes attached to help clarify what I'm looking for.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Ahh, yes. If you want step 14 to begin as soon as step 13 is done, change the constraint to "As Soon As Possible" to see if that updates your date. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 8

Hi! What is your task constraint set to for step 14 in your example?

Level 2

I'm not sure what you mean by constraint.

Also, I should maybe have mentioned I'm just a normal user in WF and only have certain permissions. I can create tasks and edit them and dates and such, but have no real admin capabilities.

Level 8

Here is the support article for an overview on task constraints: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-constraints/task-cons...

For our projects, we use predecessors and we typically have our Task Constraint set to "As Soon As Possible" so the next task in line begins as soon as the previous step is complete. When we make a change to a task and have this constraint, the steps will update without someone having to manually changing the due date.

Can you check the task to see if you can see the task constraint that is set by clicking into that task and going to task details?

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.26.57 AM.png

If you cannot see the constraint, I would check with your Admin to see what the constraint is for the project and ask how they set up the template (assuming this project is using a template).

Level 8

Also, if you are unable to update the View for projects to pull in a column for Task Constraint, I would ask your Admin to add this in as well to save you the extra clicks to see how that tasks are set up.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.31.06 AM.png

Level 2

Ok, so the constraint is set to Must Finish On. It does look like I might be able to edit that field if changing it would help?

Correct answer by
Level 8

Ahh, yes. If you want step 14 to begin as soon as step 13 is done, change the constraint to "As Soon As Possible" to see if that updates your date.