Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Hour Report by Project and Task AND by Person

Level 2
Hi smart Workfront friends, I am needing to create a single report for our creative team that shows actual hours by project, task, and person. I'm thinking that ideally we will also need to be able to constrain the time frame because otherwise it may be too large. For some reason, I feel like I am making it harder than it has to be. Can anyone offer me guidance on how to build? Thanks! Alex Afriyie Questline, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Alex, Off the top of my head I would create a Task Report and Group By Project and Assigned To . And if you want to get fancier you can create a Sum calculation to roll up the Actual Hours to the Project and the Assigned To levels. But yes, you'll want a Filter to limit what you're displaying. Perhaps filter on Project Status of Current, and something for a date range (i.e. Planned Completion Date = This Quarter). Or whatever works best for what you're looking for. Hope that helps.

Level 8
I would create an Hour report, and group by Project Name, Task Name, Owner Name. You can add prompts for Entry Date and Owner Name, and potentially portfolio if you need to narrow it down more. Adina

Level 2
Thank you both! I will try each of your suggestions. Alex Afriyie Questline, Inc.

Level 10
If you are looking to show Actual Hours for each individual person, the Hours report Adina suggested is the best way to get it. Otherwise, Vic's Task based report will work; it will really depend on what your true end goal is. For the Hours based report, depending on what time frame the end user wants to see, the list report can get a little "overwhelming" because every hour is represented as individual row. If that's the case, you could also consider making a Calculated Custom field that concatenates Project Name and Task Name together and include it on your Task custom form (if use use them). Doing so will let you create a Hours based, matrix report using the new custom field and the resource name. We use a lot of custom fields like this to try to get around the 2x2 matrix limitation in reporting. It's crude, but works well when we want the hours in a more compact form than the list report. I'm hoping that one day WF will move beyond the 2x2 limitation for matrix reports and offer the flexibility to have subtotals, not just totals Caveat: you need to ensure that a custom form containing the new field is on every Task otherwise "no value" will display on your matrix report. Also, if you happen to move the Task from one project to another OR change the project or task name make sure you "recalculate custom" data. Good Luck! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU