Expand my Community achievements bar.

HELP!!! Just want to show time off...is that so hard?

Level 9
I've scoured the community, looked everywhere in Workfront, looked in the resource planning, timesheet scheduling....the whole she-bang. Is there any successful way to see the time that was booked forward from a user (such as PTO or or vacation). Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Signed - the noob. Christina Jarosz Ascensus
24 Replies

Level 10
We don't do PTO, vacation thru the PTO thing in the user's profile. We do OOO stuff via a request queue with approvals. However, you can pick up PTO, reserved times via a user report and add a column and then switch to text mode. displayname=Reserved Times listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({startDate},"-",{endDate}) valueformat=HTML You might also want to filter to users who have reserved times. Regards. Polly Co

Level 10
Hi Christina, PTO reporting is something that Workfront could/should improve! It's very lacking. One variation to what Polly provided is the below....this will show you the upcoming PTO booked only...no past PTO. Just add this as a column via text mode: listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists name=Days Off Upcoming (filtered) stretch=0 textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({startDate}>=$$TODAY,CONCAT({startDate}," - ",{endDate})) valueformat=HTML width=150 If any queries let us know. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
HI Christina, It sounds like you had something clear in mind as to what you expected the elusive Time Off report to look like. May I ask how you wish it worked and what it would look like? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=3e032b... Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threadsAtAppStore Inc.

Level 4
We've done an integrated time off calendar with google calendar via a request queue that also populates the native time-off calendar. You can see videos of this and other integrations on our website. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com Helpful? Buy me a coffee: https://www.patreon.com/mlayten - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 1
I'm curious about this, too. I created a report that shows me what days people will be ooo. However, I'd love to see it in a calendar format. AND, I'd love for everyone to have access to it, so people will know when someone is out. Sue Willis Marketing Director, Traffic and Administration WorldStrides

Level 4
I'm going to expand on "the noob's" request. Is there a calendar view available that shows a team's schedule? Something I'd like to implement is a calendar that displays all the team's project events so we know when major releases, milestones, executions are happening so we can coordinate. We don't want a team all executing at the same time with the same resources. But, I do want foresight to see if my project plan is executing the same week or day as my teammate, Flo, for example. Is this doable in Workfront? Jaclyn Reiter, PMP, SA Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives Equifax, Inc. St. Louis, MO 314-684-2693

Level 2
It sounds like you had something clear in mind as to what you expected the elusive Time Off report to look like. May I ask how you wish it worked and what it would look like? "http://community.workfront.com/network/members/profile?UserKey=bc421c91-10c0-4fdf-88f3-4d2907710857" biobubblekey="bc421c91-10c0-4fdf-88f3-4d2907710857" Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore , 04-12-2018 01:39 I'm not Christina, but I have an answer. LOL! Our team would like to see the entire team's PTO in a calendar format. This makes it easier for a team member to see who has PTO going forward, so they can plan their personal PTO. Right now we're using a calendar in another program for this, so folks have to enter their PTO in two places. Not a big deal for some, but very annoying for others. A calendar view of PTO by Group or Team in Workfront would solve this issue. :) Cheers, Jenny Jenny Hill PacificSource Health Plans

Level 9
At the moment we have no centralized resource that shows when someone has planned time off moving forward. While we have an HR system that calculates time off, and is manager specific, we have no universe where we as a whole can see that xyz is out the week after Memorial Day so therefore so and so should really be aware in the event there is an urgent need. I'm looking for a visual way to see a time-off calendar, be pulled from their timesheets or another method I am not aware, that can be shared among many people. Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 6
Similar to Polly, we made a Request Queue for "Time Away". Make the request queue project "Time Away". Have users submit requests, filling out [Planned Start Date] and [Planned Completion Date] Like Polly, we built in an approval process where the request goes to the submitter's manager first. Make a Time Away calendar in the Calendars section Add filters for issues where the Project ID equals your Time Away project. (We also filtered statuses for "Pending Approval" & "New" + our other statuses, so rejected requests don't show up in the calendar) Sue: For your situation, you can probably add an extra filter setting for "Primary Contact" (aka submitter) to equal your team members Jaclyn: You may not want to have it filtered for the Time Away project. You may have a different criteria for projects to filter on...or leave it open. And filter the "Assigned to" for people on your team. Share the calendar with the appropriate people. I'm thinking now about how to assign the request to the submitter, so it shows them as being booked on the "Time Away" days, which will show that they're over-utilized on the Resource Planner. (Basically, tricking the system into thinking they're assigned to an issue, which is just them being out of the office). Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Level 1
I would like the time off added to calendars to appear as TASKS assigned to our team. This would help block off their time so we aren't assigning them more than 6.5 hours of work a day. Here's how I accomplish this now. I have a PROJECT that is set to end on 12/31/2018, as folks ask for time off I add a Task of X hours to that day. Then we have a report that lists how many Task hours are assigned to each staff member this week, then next week, then 2 weeks out. These reports are in a Dashboard so we can see 6 weeks out. As we assign new Project Tasks we go the the next day that doesn't have 6.5 hours worth of work already assigned to them. Maybe there's a better way to merge actual TASKS with time off that I don't know about? Thank you. Becky Becky Batman Indiana University Foundation

Level 9
This sounds like a possible workable solution - I'm just trying to figure out how to replicate it to see if it might fit our need. Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 4
I also believe there should be a calendar for Time Off. When a User adds there time off it show automatically populate into a Time Off Calendar. My current work arounds are reports that I created to show time off and also a Manual Time Off Calendar. Once the a User adds there time off they go into the Time Off Calendar and add it. The view is open for our team to view. Another way Planners can view who is off is by using the Staffing Tab in projects. I also think for all calendars there should be a Repeat Weekly function where you can repeat the task weekly for "X" amount of weeks. For example, this would be great for people who work from home every "X" day of the week. Elliot Leson Synchrony Creative

Level 10
@VRG Vincent Goodwin , we initially had the assign to field exposed on the request form and as part of training, asked the requestor to fill it up with their own name. It's a bit problematic in that users do question why they have to fill up an assign to field and then secondly, since those fields cannot be made required, people bypass it and therefore it had become inconsistent. So we got rid of it and instead I autoassign it to the requestor by api programming. Regards. Polly Co

Level 10
Wow! Look away from a hot topic for two days and it's amazing what's there when you return to it! For the record, I agree with and recommend the approach @Polly Co and @VRG Vincent Goodwin use: formalizing time off is a natural and healthy practice, and PTO as designed is a bit too fast and loose for me (and historically doesn't impact availability the way Tasks do, within Workfront). @Becky Batman , I think your approach (along similar lines) is quite creative and practical -- thanks for sharing. @Jaclyn Reiter , I invite you to consider our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/ubergantt/">UberGantt solution, which (among other things) would allow you to contrast Tasks between different Teams in a single Gantt report in order to assess opportunities (gaps) and conflicts (overlaps). And finally, @Jenny Hill , @Christina Jarosz , @Sue Willis , and @Elliot Leson , thank you all for sharing what you're after: a standard format calendar showing who's on PTO. Put that way, it doesn't sound so hard. So, I'm going to work out a design for just that using our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/pdfcalendar/">PDF Calendar solution as a base. If you'd be interested in being a guinea pi...I mean, being part of a beta testing group , please let me know. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=3e032b... Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threadsAtAppStore Inc.

Level 2
David, this is great! I've been messing around with it. Any thoughts on how to make it for a custom time frame. IE we want a weekly report for senior management to show who is out of the office. I was hoping to set up a report. As of now, I have everything populating on a calendar through issues. I'm trying to build some sort of report, similar to the suggestion you have, but I also want to filter by that columns date range. Any thoughts? Thanks! Jessi Jessi Volaric

Level 10
I really like how innovative everyone is in trying to deal with this issue. There is some good stuff in this thread, however, it appears to be more "labor intensive" than it needs to be. I would really like Workfront Development to address the "elephant in the room" as a priority over a few of the other things that are given attention and deployed to production. I'd like to invite everyone to go to the Idea Exchange and just search on "Calendars". There are A LOT of good ones out there; in some cases, multiple requests that are for the same thing. Please take some time to go out there and up vote all of them so we can get them to critical mass so that Workfront will respond. Thanks! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 9
@Doug Den Hoed I'm game! Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 9
Over a year later and I find my own thread looking for a solution still. Egash. @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore did you ever implement a test function? Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 10
Hi Christina, Hmm...I recall mentioning decided not to pursue this one, but apparently made my confession on a different thread. In short, between the other options offered on community (e.g. using Workfront's calendars, setting up a special Time Off Project, etc.) and Workfront's planned improvements for calendaring, we decided to focus on other items. That said, if having a filterable, printable calendar of Workfront time off is of enough interest to anyone following that they'd like to discuss what's possible, I'd be happy to chat offline at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 7
HI Christina, I've discussed this with our internal teams, and we do not currently have anything set for this year to address this, but we are considering ways to address this. No ETA at all, but I would recommend scouring the Idea Exchange and upvoting some of the calendar enhancement requests. Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront