Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help - Adoption for PR Team

Level 3
We've just implemented Workfront on the PR side of our marketing services department and they are having a hard time adopting it. We've set them up with some basic templates and structure, but they feel it's too rigid. I was wondering if anyone out there is in a similar industry and could share the value they found in using Workfront so that I could share it with this group as a case study or proof of concepts of sorts. Thanks! Allison Sizemore Advantage | ForbesBooks
4 Replies

Level 7
Our Communications Team handles a variety of items within our Marketing department including PR and social media and uses Workfront to manage their projects. We created templates specifically for their workflows/processes such as a Press Release Template and Social Media Campaign template(s), plus the team is part of the workflow (in templates) on other Marketing project types (infographics, e-brochures, etc.), for which there may be a related PR component. We also built a Press Release Calendar for the team, so that they can easily view their press release schedule and what status the releases are in. The team also handles the blog process, for which we created a request queue to handle the intake and management of blog proposal requests, as well as a Blog Calendar, so that they can view the scheduled blog posts. The team has found it very helpful to have their workflows outlined in templates, which allows for both structure (of tasks - what needs to get done and by whom and by when) and flexibility (ability to modify those tasks on a specific project). The calendars help them to see at a glance their editorial schedules, ensuring that everyone on the team knows what is upcoming and what is being worked on. And, by incorporating them into the workflows on other project templates, they are part of that project's overall workflow, so they know what work is coming their way and when. Also by having items in Workfront, it helps them to more clearly see where they can streamline items or improve upon efficiencies in their workflows (and also allows for reporting). Not sure if your PR Team is similarly structured, but with ours, they have found real value in having their processes incorporated into the system. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 3
Thanks so much for sharing Terry! Can you share more about how you set-up the editorial calendars? We are using templates and request queues, which definitely strikes a good balance between tracking the work we know needs to get done versus more spontaneous work. But, I'm really interested in how you set up the calendars! Thanks again, Allison Sizemore Advantage | ForbesBooks

Level 7
One adjustment that we had to make when implementing templates is that we originally wanted to use 1 giant template to cover all bases and what works better for us in reality (allowing for more granularity and flexibility) is modular templates. Is the art back from review? Our coordinators can attach "back in with artist" template to the project which will add 4 new tasks to the project (1. review changes 2. modify artwork 3. upload new artwork 4. change ownership of proof back to coordinator). I know it's not specifically PR related but I thought maybe I could help with the rigidity part. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 2
We had to do this too- we have full template for some people to continue to use- but widgets modules for all the pieces of a project. this helps with updating the projects dates- and assignments. It is so much easier!!!! Julie Ohman Optum