Expand my Community achievements bar.

Documentation for Database Fields

Level 1
I'm relatively new to workfront and would like to build some custom reports. I've looked all over the help documentation and community sites but can't find any detailed documentation describing what each field in the database is and what information it actually holds of collects. For example, what does "Planned Hours Alignment" mean exactly and if it is a calculated field, what is it calculating? I've even looked in the API but not being a programmer it's a little above my head. Does anyone know if this exists and if so where I can find it?
23 Replies

Level 10
Hi Alexis, I guess you're referring to the API Explorer. As far is I know this is the main reference: https://developers.workfront.com/api-docs/api-explorer/ In case you hadn't found the documentation yet, I have attached two useful (and large) manuals on report creation. Hope this helps. Regards, David

Level 6
Hi Alexis, I completely understand what you’re looking for as we asked for the same thing during our implementation earlier this year. Unfortunately descriptions of what each field is and/or how it’s calculated doesn’t exist - we asked Workfront several times. I highly recommend attending the report creation class and then onto the advanced reporting classes or watching the recorded videos. The course training manuals are helpful too once you understand the basics. Other than that, if you’re stuck, feel free to post your requested report in the community and someone will quickly provide you with what you need! ☺ Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems [Paws Surgery Email Signature Logo] Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image003.png@01D21586.05874DC0]

Level 10
Hi: I tried to open the ESG_Report_creation file, but it says “You have requested information you are not authorized to view”. ☹ What people want is a proper data dictionary, with attribute names, where-used, foreign key references, and here is the most important part - business semantics. The semantics are not documented anywhere. Thanks, David! I look forward to looking at that ESG file. Eric

Level 7
Hmm, I wonder if there's an issue somewhere else - the file opened fine for me (both of them did).

Level 10
Hi Eric - I just checked and was able to download it....perhaps try again? I originally downloaded it from the training site so you can get it direct

Level 10
Your links worked great, thanks. I appreciate it! Eric

Level 10
Agreed Eric: thank you, David, for posting the link. I took version 1.0 of the Advanced Reporting Course back in the day ("toughest ever"), and look forward to refreshing my memory on the new ESG_Advanced_Reporting.pdf, which looks very professional and current. Regards, Doug

Level 3
I see this discussion is over a year old. They still don't have any new documentation. Randy Roberts ZPA - Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
Hi: I started using AtTask (Pre-WorkFront) in early 2013. For me, the conversation is around five years old. I was told that they don't have the documentation internally, they use tribal knowledge to teach the newbies. Thanks, Eric

Level 10
Tribal knowledge? In Communityland it's more like the force....and Doug is Yoda who pulls your spacecraft out of the swamp every now and then. David Cornwell

Level 3
Yea, pretty sad that such an expensive software package is severely crippled by no documentation. Even free software like mySQL and Linux have better documentation. We haven't even launched yet and I'm already thinking this may not work for us. Randy Roberts Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 1
Totally agree on the lack of documentation. Purveying the idea that scrambling around forums, piecing together fragments from Google and hoping that a good samaritan might know the answer is somehow 'fun' or the way to provide a reporting solution for a professional PPM solution. If I hadn't just spent best part of a year adopting it across our business I would go elsewhere... Robin

Level 10
Hi: Is has been a source of frustration for years. I asked techies inside WorkFront how they learn the data model with no meaningful data dictionary and was told rather consistently that it is tribal knowledge – word of mouth. I struggle with the idea that they have no internal documentation that describes the business semantics. That is developmental chaos. Sure, their data model is unique and likely held as company confidential. I have worked with many software companies that felt giving out the business semantics of their data model somehow reduces their competitive advantage or opens them up to complaints of "your data model is not third normal form. Can you adjust it to be Third Normal Form, please?" It's not worth the complaining from those who want to out-tech your data team. It's an ingredient of your secret sauce. Having said that, the value in keeping information in a database is ONLY realized when it is taken out, in the form of integrations, reports, and screens. Getting the data out creates the value. Knowing what you're taking out definitely increases the probability that each integration, screen, and report is properly understood. Not having a data dictionary with business semantics increases the probability of misinterpretation, or worse, not getting all the value from your data that you need. So I've thought of paying for a data dump in MS Access form from AtAppStore, then running it through software to produce an ERD, then create a Wikipedia article(s) or something we can all edit with the business semantics I can figure out. If the company won't do it, maybe we should. Time. I just need the time. ��

Level 10
Hi Eric, This sounds like Mischief we could Manage. "http://tinyurl.com/leapgps">Glympse me Sunday night, and let's discuss it over a couple of Butterbeers at whatever turns out to be The Hog's Head. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App! https://tinyurl.com/LEAPGPS Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Here here. I can’t even find the code to make a column sort in a report. If someone wrote it as a how to book I would buy it.

Level 10
Hi Eric and Doug - as I was reading this thread, I was thinking perhaps we should start a community database wiki so we can all contribute our knowledge into one central place so we don't all have to go searching through our own notes and the community each time. It would be best if Workfront endorsed this wiki....even if users contribute the information. Workfront can then review and adjust it if they wish. Even if various entries are not verified by WF, at least this means we won't be waiting for Workfront to produce the documentation. Count me in, even though I can't have a beer with you this time! Cheers, David David Cornwell

Level 10
Well spotted, David: precisely where I was heading. I did a little bit of research for potential SaaS database documentation Wiki solutions. No clear winner jumped out at me, and I'm actually considering (wait for it...) using Workfront to document Workfront's data model, but I'm not sold on that yet either. If anyone out in community land has a particularly excellent suggestion, please let me know. As for that beverage chat...given today's technologies, David, may I suggest you join us virtually on Sunday evening in Nashville, and dial in with FaceTime, or Skype, or Workfr...(just kidding) and participate in the discussion over a virtual pint? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App! https://tinyurl.com/LEAPGPS Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 3
Just returned from LEAP 2018. I was told they are "working on" tech documentation. I'm not gonna hold my breath. Randy Roberts ZPA - Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
Ah. Who said they were working on Tech documentation? I spoke to Doug D. of AtAppStore at breakfast. He had some great ideas on how to quickly produce a data dictionary. Once we find out what technology we'll use, Doug will populate it with information he has available, and I'll go in and add in the business semantics that I know of. Thanks, Eric

Level 4
I'm happy to add what I know after the 2 of you. If anything is left :) -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com Helpful? Buy me a coffee: https://www.patreon.com/mlayten - we simplify your work so you can run your business -