Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Document Templates attached to request custom form

Level 5
Hi All, We're working on setting up an operations request queue. They have some excel templates that they would like to be downloadable to the requestor. For example- someone goes to the request queue. The fill out the form, they download the excel template, fill it out, and then upload the document and submit the request? I know what you are all thinking- why don't you ditch the excel template- and incorporate the needed data fields nto the custom form. For complicated reasons- that's not an option. Is it possible to do this? And if adding templated documents to the request form isn't an option- are there any workarounds? Like including url's to google sheets or something?? Thanks! Karen Karen Rutz Harvard: Alumni Affairs & Development
5 Replies

Level 10
I'm pretty sure you can add the Excel spreadsheet to the template as a document and it will appear on every project created for that template. The problem is the document won't be available until after the Issue is turned into the Project. I don't know a way of attaching a document to a Request but if that's possible I'd like to know about it! Jill Ackerman

Community Advisor
I don't believe there's a way to add a downloadable file directly into a custom form, but we have several custom form fields where we house the document elsewhere and include a link to it in the custom form. We use the Descriptive Text field type, there's a hyperlink box there where you can insert the link to wherever your document lives and can be downloaded form.

Level 10
First of all, if you don't have an administrator service account, create one. This user can be the owner of many system objects, and can be the run report with the access rights of user. This way, things aren't tied to your personal Workfront account. When you leave your position and your account is disabled, less things will break. 1. "Login As" that user. 2. Create a folder in the Documents area under that user for "Request Queue Docs" 3. Put the source document in the folder 4. Share the document system-wide 5. Copy the link to the document. I typically grab this from the "Download" link. 6. Add the link to your custom form as a "Descriptive Text" field. With this, your users can grab the file and you don't need to store it outside of Workfront. Also, you can add new versions of the file so the requesters see the new version without changing the link in the form. Narayan Raum "https://suntrustedo.my.workfront.com/dashboard/view?ID=5c1bf1f90046e70adeecf882731a47b9"> Workfront Center of Excellence Delivery Lead Enterprise Data & Governance Execution (EDGE) SunTrust Bank

Level 8

@Kyna Baker - inactive‚ Pro tip I just found 👆🏻 for your tips posts

Level 7

Hi Karen,

If you add a link to the excel template via a Descriptive text field, the user can download it from the request queue. Then having the native URL field visible on the form would allow them to add a link to the completed excel form to the request for reference later.

Hope this helps,

Teale