Expand my Community achievements bar.

Display Multiple Project Types from a Custom Form in one Column

Level 3
I'm looking for a way to display our project type fields from a custom form into one column. The idea is that if the user chooses one the column displays the information from that field. The problem I can't get around is we have around 10 Project Types, i.e. "Project Type - Collateral", "Project Type - Interactive Media", "Project Type - Social" so on and so forth. Instead of going the loooong way about this and merging 10 columns together (I merged 3 columns together in another report and that wasn't fun at all), there has to be an easier way of doing this. I tried using the value expression CONTAINS and couldn't get that to work. Not for nothing but it doesn't help there's a lack of documentation and proper demos for any of this. The docs I have "Report Creation" and "Advance Reporting" don't help. Yes, it tells me what commands are available, but doesn't show the proper syntax and when and where to use it. Thanks in advance. Randy Roberts ZPA - Zimmerman Advertising LLC
12 Replies

Level 3
Hi Randy, I'd be interested to see how you have the "Project Type" selection set up on your custom forms. From your screenshot, it looks like each project type is a separate field, which I think is why it's forcing separate columns for each type. Here is a screenshot of our Campaign View, where we have a column for "Campaign Type". Our Campaign Type is a dropdown on the custom form that is attached to every campaign, so we can filter/report on the different types per region, etc. Please let me know if you want to touch base about this outside of the discussions & I'll message you my direct email address/work #. Winfield Dean Intercontinental Hotels Group PLC

Level 2
Hi, Winfield. Randy posted this question on my behalf as I was having issues posting to the community. To answer your question, our Project Types are separate fields in our forms. Our Project Type field is dependent on a partner field called Project Group. Once the group is chosen it determines the type. (see attachments). This is where we're kinda stuck at. :( We'll still take any suggestions. Lol. Malcom Benites Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
Hi Malcolm, If I'm following (assuming each Project has only one Category Details form on it; can't quite tell from your screenshot) since your Project Group makes the various Project Types mutually exclusive, I suggest you add a calculated Text Field called "Product Type Reported" and use the CONCAT formula to pull all of them together, like this: CONCAT({DE:Project Type - Print},{DE:Project Type - Interactive Production},...) As a result, Product Type Reported will then have the (one) Project Type value in it. On the other hand, if you allow multiple forms with different Category Details on each, Product Type Report would then string together all of the values, so to avoid that -- lacking a way to perform a carriage return, unfortunately -- I would instead add a vertical bar delimiter into the mix, where a particular value is not blank, like this: CONCAT({DE:Project Type - Print},IF(ISBLANK({DE:Project Type - Interactive Production}),'',' | '),{DE:Project Type - Interactive Production},...) Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Doug, thanks for the help. Dumb question here. We're new to WF so we're kinda green when it comes to forms and fields for this kind application your talking about. That being said... Does a custom form (where this custom field you suggested) have to be attached to a project or can it be running in the background collecting data? Malcom Benites - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Prepress Manager - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - zimmerman - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 954.644.4000 \\ 4043 direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 786.395.1333 \\ mobile - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6600 N. Andrews Avenue - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "http://www.zadv.com/" style="color: blue; font-size: 14.666666984558105px;"> www.zadv.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 24/7 seriously
This email is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is privileged, confidential and / or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received this email in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via email to Disclaimer@zadv.com and delete the email from your system, retaining no copies in any form of media. We appreciate your cooperation.

Level 10
You bet, Malcolm: the Custom Form(s) would be attached to (aka "behind") the Project. Here's a good "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668788-Creating-Custom-Forms">Custom Form primer from help.workfront.com -- and lots more where it came from, if you search there for "Custom Form". Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Doug, this worked splendidly. Thanks again for all your help in this. Malcom Benites - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Prepress Manager - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - zimmerman - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 954.644.4000 \\ 4043 direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 786.395.1333 \\ mobile - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6600 N. Andrews Avenue - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "http://www.zadv.com/" style="color: blue; font-size: 14.666666984558105px;"> www.zadv.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 24/7 seriously
This email is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is privileged, confidential and / or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received this email in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via email to Disclaimer@zadv.com and delete the email from your system, retaining no copies in any form of media. We appreciate your cooperation.

Level 10
My pleasure, Malcolm. Out of curiosity, which was the right direction -- does each Project have only one Category Details form on it, or multiple? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
It was the first one with only one Category Details. We have other systems tied into that field and we can only have one Category chosen. If the user somehow changed that after the form is generated it may error out the other system. Thanks again for your help on this. Malcom Benites Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 2
Good morning, Doug! Hope all is well. I'm coming back to this thread because I need your help. The custom field has been working great. It displays all our reported project types, but lately, it seems (as a refresher our A/S picks a Project Group that drops down multiple Project Types) however what's happening is sometimes our A/S are changing project types throughout the life project and we're getting multiple answers in the column (see attached). How can have it show just the most current selected project type? To give some context to the image below. The project group was initially Interactive Video and the chosen field was Script Editing. That project evolved and then A/S edited the custom form and now it's Interactive Production and field chosen is CN VSP Main Image. Hope to hear from you soon. Malcom Benites Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
Hi Malcolm, I'll need a bit more information, please: a screen cap on this "zoomed out" a bit more, to see contextually whether it's a Task (or Issue) report under a single Project, or a dashboard showing Tasks (or Issues) across multiple Projects add the Project name and/or RefNum to confirm that the two rows you're referring to are the same Project show the custom data tab behind the Project to confirm whether there is only one custom form on it show the filter on this report to determine why two rows are appearing Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Hey Doug, quick update. I'm not ignoring you, I simply haven't had the time to get the information you need. We launched WF for about 20 clients and it's been a rough three weeks. I should have time this week to get to this. Crossing fingers! Malcom Benites Zimmerman Advertising LLC

Level 10
None taken, Malcolm -- take your time. I hope things settle out. Fyi, I'll be at LEAP next week, but plan to still keep an eye on community as I'm able. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App! https://tinyurl.com/LEAPGPS Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads