Expand my Community achievements bar.

Disabling Link Within Report

Level 3
I know this probably falls under Reporting 101 and I SHOULD know how to do this, but I'm struggling to find the answer. I'm developing a report that will be exported and provided to people w/o Workfront access. I want to disable the hyperlinks on the task name field to avoid the inevitable "oh geez, I clicked on something and a new window opened, what the heck is Workfront" questions :) I converted the column to text mode and tried a couple of guesses on how to accomplish this, but nothing has worked thus far. I know it's got to be a simple thing, but I can't find any documentation on the subject. Anyone out there know how to do this? Thanks in advance!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

12 Replies

Level 3

Nevermind! As soon as I clicked "Post," I did one more search and found the information I was looking for.

It seems that "non-clickable" was the phrase I should have searched for.

Level 4
What about disabling a project name link? I can't figure it out. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious...

Level 3
I've been able to disable the links in a report, but what I would prefer would be to only disable the links in the export of the report and not the report itself. We export a report into Excel to distribute to non-Workfront users and for other purposes. If I forget to remove the hyperlinks in Excel, the consumers of the spreadsheet may accidentally click on a cell and get taken to Workfront. If I disable the link in the report, there is no link in the export. But when the user is looking at the report in Workfront, the user often wants the hyperlink. It seems that I can only have the link in the report and the export, or the link in neither unless someone can show me something else. Any insight into solving this would be appreciated. Vern R Phipps Zions Bancorporation

Level 4
Vern, How were you able to disable links in a report? For example, I have an Issue report with the column Queue Topic Name. That is a link field but I would prefer it to just be text. Do you have any Code or suggestions on how I can remove/disable the links in the report? Thanks

Level 4

Hi everyone,

What I have done is created a new view for export and use this code for the column. (Either a task or project name). Hope this helps

Eliminate Hyperlink on task name (provided by Workfront)

displayname=Task Name

querysort=name

textmode=true

valueexpression={name}

valueformat=HTML

Eliminate Hyperlink on Project name

displayname=Project Name

linkedname=project

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=project

namekeyargkey.1=name

querysort=project:name

textmode=true

valueexpression={project}.{name}

valueformat=HTML

Level 4

Thank you Patricia!

I was able to use that code for Queue Topic Name:

displayname= linked

name=queueTopic

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=queueTopic

namekeyargkey.1=name

querysort=queueTopic:name

textmode=true

valueexpression={queueTopic}.{name}

valueformat=HTML

Level 3

Here is what I figured out, after some experimenting. Here's the original text mode for the Task Name field, which was causing me the most grief in a Spreadsheet. We email spreadsheets out to non-Workfront users and so this was a problem if I forgot to remove the links before sending it.

valuefield=name

querysort=name

valueformat=HTML

displayname= Task Name

linkedname=direct

namekey=name

Here's what I changed it to:

displayname=Task Name

linkedname=direct

namekey=name

querysort=name

textmode=true

valueexpression={name}

valueformat=Compound

width=150

I would think that a similar approach would work for your situation.

Level 10

There is another solution if you are scheduling the report for delivery. If you go to Report Actions > Send Reports and you change the format to MS Excel, a check box appears that you can elect to include hyperlinks in the report export. However, this only works if you use Report Actions.

Some other good work-arounds have been posted. I really like how everyone helps each other out in this community. :)

It's unfortunate that for some basic "report control features" that you have to go into text mode code to do something that used to be so simple back in the day. When we 1st started using Workfront in 2012, the UI and Report Builder were very different than they are now. I like the new report builder, but I miss some of the conveniences of the old version (2012). The following are a few of my favorites that went by the way side since 2012 that I'd really like to see brought back: Check box to include a hyperlink on a field, width field to easily enter how wide you wanted the column to be, and stretch field to indicate how much stretch you wanted to give a field if any. These are basic control features that I think are more confusing to novice report users; when I explain to them that they need to convert to text mode code you can almost hear a pin drop. :)

Level 4
I agree, it should be part of the basic report control features. Have you submitted it to the Idea Exchange?

Level 10

To answer your question, the suggestions had been submitted in the past, but in searching the new Idea Exchange, they are not there so I resubmitted them. Posted the following on the Idea Exchange under Reporting; make sure to vote for them.

Provide Check Box to Control if you want the description of a field to appear when you hover over it

https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004303293-Provide-Check-Box-to-Control-if-...

https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004303213-Bring-Back-Ability-to-Easily-Set...

Level 2

Somewhat related question that I'm struggling to find an answer to:

I'm using the "text field with formatting" field in one of my custom forms to be able to include hyperlinks, from which I generate a report using these fields. It shows up perfectly in the Workfront report. When I download the report to Excel, it removes all of the hyperlinks. Anyone know how to fix this?

Level 3

Hi all,

I don't suppose anybody would have a solution to eliminate hyperlinks for Typeahead fields? 
Value expression break the column and I've tried a few other things but no joy.

Thanks!