Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Direct Reports - Overall Projects

Level 4
Hello Everyone, I am trying to create a report for my Manager Dashboard where it shows a Column chart view of the total number of projects that a direct report has been assigned to. When I try making a Project report I cannot get down to the assignment level only the project owner level and for most of my managers their direct reports are not project owners. When I try to use a Task report I can't get the columns to show total number of projects it only groups by tasks on the x-axis. And when I try an Assignments report the same issue that I can't get it to pull up to the project level for total projects. My thought would be to use a Project Report and then have text mode to add in the task assignments coulmns in View and Groupings but I'm not very handy at text mode yet so I haven't been able to find the right code to get the information I need. Any help with text mode or another type of report would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jessie Dantin Mercy Health
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 2
Hi Jessie, I am wondering if you found the answer to this problem because I am being asked for the same type of report. The assignment ID is only linked to the task, so if I do it via creating a task report the information is there, but then under a particular person's name a project can be listed multiple times if they have more than one task in a project. Our leadership just wants a report that lists each project and all involved individuals, not the tasks. As you mention in project reports there is no way to get to the assignment level. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Debbie Wurms Subway

Level 4
Hi Debbie, I did find what I consider a work around. It's not the easiest way to get to the project information but it does work. I created a project report with a custom prompt that would filter on the "assigned to id" on a project. For my purposes I was just doing this for a small group and not all my workfront users because each id will need to be entered in manually, so if you need this for all your workfornt users it might get a little time consuming. But this is the text mode I used when I added the custom prompt. tasks:assignedToID= 5ba084dd0b34bca3bd527d4d41a0dcad &tasks:assignedToID_Mod=in What I bolded is what you will need to change for each user when adding each line to the custom prompt. (I got this by opening another report and filtering on "assigned to name" and then flipping it to text mode to get the id number). When you have added everyone and run the report. It will only show the one coworker's id at a time but it will show you all the projects where they have an assignment. I have my report grouped by priorities so we can see what the coworkers are working on and what priorities they are assigned. I also made a second report and that one groups by status of current and complete so we can see how many projects the coworkers have completed vs currently being worked on. I hope this helps, here is also the link to the article that I found the custom prompt text mode if you need some more guidance. https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report-779518987 Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jessie Dantin Mercy Health

Level 2
Hi Jessie, Thank you for your reply. I was able to follow your process and I thought it was working fine, until we realized that it is not capturing all tasks for all people. It is very odd, without the prompt all the projects show for everyone, but with the prompt to a single person some projects are not showing. Did you see anything like this taking place for your implementation? Best Regards, Debbie Wurms Subway

Level 10
I wonder if it would work better if you used assignments:assignedToID, in place of tasks:assignedToID? (in other words, since task objects can only have one "assigned to ID" field, I wonder if the original report works less well when multiple people are assigned to a task.) -skye

Level 2
Still the same issue of not all projects returning when changing tasks to assignments, but thank you for the suggestion. Debbie Wurms Subway

Level 4
Hi Debbie, Sorry about that. I forgot about primary task owners. But I tried what Skye suggested and it worked for my report, pulling in more projects. I'm not sure how to check that it is pulling in everything. But my total project numbers did go up for the complete and current projects that a user had an assignment to. Maybe trying something with the Assignment User filter would help. I still struggle a bit with Text Mode but I know with the filters that if you use Assignment User that pulls in others that are also assigned to the task that are primary task owners. Thanks, Jessie Dantin Mercy Health

Level 2
Hi Jessie, When you changed to assignments:assignedToID in the front of the string, did you also change the back end of the code, after the ampere sign...from &tasks:assignedToID to &assignments:assignedToID? Debbie Wurms Subway

Level 4
HI Debbie, Yes I changed it in both places and it worked for me. Thanks, Jessie Dantin Mercy Health

Level 2
Hi, I put in a ticket and they let me know the code that worked for what I have. So for my report I added a column that I called "Project Team" with this text mode: displayname=Project Team listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(projectUsers).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=user:name valueformat=HTML So that meant that my prompt code per user (user ID is bold) needed to be projectUsers:userID instead of the ones we were talking about. projectUsers:userID= 5cae2b90010801982758ab0bf36f5eca &projectUsers:userID_Mod=in Just thought I would pass along as this seems to be what worked in my circumstance and was confirmed with WF help desk ticketing. Thank you guys for helping in all of us, loving the WF discussion areas, it's great when we can help each other! Debbie Wurms Subway

Level 10
yep, if you are trying to sync up with the project team list, that code will definitely work. I haven't found the project team list to be that useful since it's an automatic process to get people onto the list but a manual process to remove them. e.g. if I assign someone to a task then they are automatically on that list. But if I remove them from the task, they don't automatically remove from the list. And if I copy the project they are on and then replace them with a new set of people, then both sets of people can be on the list. So there's a bit of maintenance and commitment needed to use that functionality. -skye