Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Default Duration Type

Level 10
We're relatively new in our Workfront implementation and as our PMs get more into the tool, the more some of the configuration we set in stone at the start we are now querying. One of the items that's arisen recently is with regards to the default Duration Type for new tasks. This is currently set for us as 'Calculated Assignment' but after reading the support articles I wonder if 'Simple' is the best bet. Are there any use cases for when 'Simple' would not be a good choice? Many thanks! Jamie Hill JLL EMEA
3 Replies

Level 10
We're with Workfront nearly 1,5 year now and got it set up as 'Calculated Assignment'. It was reason of some issue with changing dates/ assignments etc. So after discussion with our Core Team we have decided that 'Simple' is the best options and got it change to ii nearly 2 weeks ago. Since then there has been no issue with changes to timelines/assignments. Seems to be easiest and best way to do it. Especially if you've got people managing projects on different levels of skills within Workfront. dags Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 10
I think you'll find a different answer from each of us. It's a matter of what works best and easiest for you and your personal philosophy and style. And your organizational culture (how you assign and run projects). Personally, I like Calculated Assignment for our environment because I like getting estimates from the team by asking the Duration and Planned Hours (hours of effort) and let it calculate the resource allocation %. I don't like Calculated Work because I don't want the tool telling me what my planned hours (or estimates) are, I want the team doing that. I USED to like Effort Driven and it's what I always used in the past with MS Project. But, there's a glitch 'By Design' (or at least used to be) in WF that if you had any task set to Effort Driven, the Resource Leveling function wouldn't work. So I went away from it. As far as I remember, Simple is the same as Calculated Assignment, except it doesn't display the resource % allocation for you. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken there. But I think it'll be your organizations preference on how you want to standardize your projects. I do recommend establishing a consistent standard to avoid confusion. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
We have been using Workfront for 8 months or so. I have our set as duration type = Simple. My team does not like any pre-calculated due dates nor durations. My team wants to be in total control of their individual work schedules. So Simple seemed to work best for everyone. Although, we use Workfront differently than 99% of the community. We do not track any financials in it as it relates to the team members hours / pay per hours etc ... Benetta Perry APS