Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Prompt on Task Report to Pull Project Status

Level 4
Hoping someone in the Community can help me with the below as Workfront Support have not been forth-coming; I am looking for something along the lines of below that would work on a task report: Current custom prompt on task report: status=CPL&status_Mod=in& lastUpdateDate=$$TODAYbm& lastUpdateDate_Mod=between& lastUpdateDate_Range=$$TODAYem Pro: return all completed tasks in a month based on last updated Con: does not return tasks completed outside of the month even though the project was marked as completed Aim - I have tried the below code and it returns a blank report so I am after assistance on how to make it work: {project}.{status}=CPL&status_Mod=in&{project}.{ lastUpdateDate}=$$TODAYbm& lastUpdateDate _Mod=between& {project}.{ lastUpdateDate _ Range}=$$TODAYem The purpose of the custom prompt: Return all tasks in a "Complete" project for a set date range e.g. beginning of month to end of month The Completed Project is defined by when the project was last updated to the status of complete The reason why we are looking at a custom prompt rather than the default last Task update=Project completion date is due to the leadtime for the project to be accepted as completed by the client for their invoicing cycle. Completion date may vary from the same day the last task is completed to a month or more past this. To prevent this from being lost in previous months' invoicing we need to take this from the last updated date when it was completed. We don't use Billing Records and approximately 200-300 projects are completed per month so it's not feasible to manually check through every one of these to make sure they haven't gone into the 'wrong' month. Vikki Gibbs RRD
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Vikki, With 200-300 projects completed per month, I appreciate the importance of an easy and accurate means to identifying Tasks for invoicing. I suspect there are some nuances to your workflow that I don't yet appreciate which might counteract some of the following ideas, but I am interested in understanding more about your situation, so will offer them anyway. On the accuracy side (assuming they usually remain unchanged, once set, in your world, and that each Task should be accounted for only once, for invoicing porposes), I'd suggest using the Actual Completion Date at both the Task and the Project level, rather than the Last Update Date. By design, Last Update Date is ever-changing, so results would vary over time...easily causing duplicates. Conversely, a Task matrix report by Actual Completion Date (to the Month, as columns) by Project (and optionally, Task name, vertically) would give a stable "map" illustrating when work was done. On the Easy side, I have a few other suggestions in mind, depending on how and when the actual Invoicing occurs. If you're at liberty to provide more details here, please do; or if you'd like to take it offline, you're welcome to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Hi Vikki, try this in your task report: a) Filter: Project Status Equates With = Complete (By default, you only want completed projects) b) Prompt: Project Actual Completion Date (Allows you to specify when the project was completed) With this combination, I think you'll get what you're after. Narayan Raum Workfront Center of Excellence Delivery Lead Enterprise Data & Governance Execution (EDGE) SunTrust Bank LEGAL DISCLAIMER The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. By replying to this e-mail, you consent to SunTrust's monitoring activities of all communication that occurs on SunTrust's systems. SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. [ST:XCL]

Level 4
Many thanks to you both for offering suggestions, however they are not quite what we are after. To try and make it clearer, here are some screen shots and additional information; For our normal accounts Actual Completion Date is correct and works as expected however this is an exceptional account and unfortunately doesn't work like that. Typically when marking a Project as Complete it takes the completion date of the last Task, as shown below; However for the same Project the team manually change the status to Complete and within the Updates page this is captured and this is the date they want the Project to be marked as Completed, as per below; This is the date which they need to report on as you can see it's 20 days later than the Actual Completion Date, and we are trying to create a custom prompt to allow them to do this. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Many thanks Vikki Gibbs Aviva Investors

Level 10
Hi Vikki, In addition to Narayan's prompt suggestions, for these particular projects with "after the fact" completion dates, you might also consider: adding a "Confirm Project Completion Date" Task at the end to acknowledge that delayed end, and in turn, have that task drive the Project's completion Date alternatively, add an Approval to whatever is currently your final Task, deferring it (and the Project's) actual completion date until the Approval is entered (often several days later, as you've described) Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads