Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Creating a Project name using Concatenation

Level 10
I was wondering if anyone created their project names using Concatenation from other fields chosen on the request form (issue). Then the traffic person could copy that and use it for the project name. I have the concept but didnt want to spend hours recreating the wheel if someone already has done it. Michael
5 Replies

Level 3
Oh, I really hope someone replies and knows how to do this. Great question! We are hoping to put a project number, collected in a form for the project into the name.

Level 10
I was able to come up with the formula that works but the project name becomes very long. It would be nice if WF had mutli-column drop down boxes so that a different value could be used like an abbrev. in the 2nd col. vs the full name in the 1st col.

Level 3
Hi Michael - would you please share the formula how you were able to do it? Would this concatenated project name show up in timesheets? Thanks

Level 10
Good news/Bad news Here is the formula that we are using. CONCAT (Field 1, "-",Field 2, "-",{Field3},"-",Field 4,"-",Field 5) The reason Field 3 has { } around it is because our actual name has a symbol in it. When we take the issue form and convert to project our traffic person will copy and paste the result into the Project name. We do not have an automated way to do that step yet.. Regarding the timesheets - I would think so since we are still completing the project name. I hope this helps.

Level 3
Thank you Michael. I thought you were able to create a formula that would populate the project name. I see, it would be created but then manually cut and pasted in. Sorry, I overlooked that. Thank you for clarifying. If you ever figure out how to automated please let me know. Cheers, John