Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

control Z and tasks organization

Level 1
Hello, In MSFT project, if you make a mistake when ordering your tasks, you can "control Z" to undo your changes? Is there something similar in Workfront? My team is getting frustrated when moving larger chunks of tasks and having them reorder themselves (under subheadings or splitting tasks apart) because they released a move a second too soon or accidentally released in the wrong spot in general. Please help if you can! Jilena Simonson Kroll Ontrack, LLC
17 Replies

Level 10
Hi Jilena, Unfortunately, No. We just got the Recycle Bin like a year ago, which was a big win for us. And at Leap someone asked, when the Undo button was coming. There was no answer ☹ .

Level 10
There actually was a general undo button for a while in Preview but it never eventuated. However, there is some limited undo functionality if you are editing using the gantt chart. You can go into edit mode and then you can undo and redo changes and optionally then either save or discard the changes. David Cornwell

Level 7
Hi Jilena, There is this idea in the idea exchange;

Level 2
Thank you for including me here Vicky. You are right, we were planning to introduce the Edit Mode functionality with 2018.3 but unfortunately there are some things that we still need to fine tune on the new task list which the edit mode is built on. The good news is, we can enable it in preview environment upon request. It is actually enabled in your preview, Vicky. Jilena, let me know if you would like to check it out too. Vic, David, let me know if you are interested in having it turned on in your preview environment as well. Thank you. Anna Asatryan Product Manager, Workfront

Level 7
Hi @Anna Asatryan , Thanks for the update, could you direct me as to where it is in my preview environment please? Thanks, Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 2
Sure Vicky, If you navigate to a project -> go to task list -> enable the Gantt Chart, and you will see the Edit (pencil icon) there. Here is a short video showing it. Let me know if you have any questions. Anna Asatryan Workfront

Level 7
Hi Anna, We don't tend to make our edits in the gant chart, just in the normal project view and we was hoping (and this is also what I took from the idea) that the undo button was going to be for the whole page and not just the gant chart. It's a big ask from our PM's. Thanks Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 10
Hi Anna, Great to hear from you. Yes, definitely count us in to try it in Preview. Thanks!

Level 10
Hi Anna, I think we already have it enabled in Preview (or at least partially we already have it). Anyways, if you could check and enable it, that would be good. Like Vicky I would like to see a general undo function...not just whilst editing using the gantt chart. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 7
I've just realised that the idea link I posted before didn't work but this is the idea I was relating to and this idea is for all project functions and not just gant chart. Is this something would is going to be considered? https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115006882288-Undo-Button-for-All-Project-Func... Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 5
Hello all, While we wait for that feature :) I always instruct my users to use the Move task function within the project view once tasks are selected instead of the drag and drop for the reasons noted. I find this function has more accuracy when needing to change up the order or parent of tasks as listed, preventing the chaos that usually happens with a too early/late trigger on the mouse movement. Hope it helps Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation

Level 1
I'm not sure if you've made any changes yet - but in production AND in the sandbox, I see the edit pencil and the undo/redo arrows in the Gantt chart view. However, I am unable to actually change anything and have the undo arrow light up for me. Also, when I click on the edit pencil - I loose my other editable task features - like "indent" and "move to" - as seen in the attached picture. I also included a picture of the what it looks like when they are missing. Is this part of what is being fixed? I'm in Chrome. Jilena Simonson Kroll Ontrack, LLC

Level 1
Thank you for your reply - when I click move, it does not allow me to move the task easily up a few spaces, but rather, brings me through a whole set of steps that seem more along the lines of moving the step to another project all together OR - moves the step to the bottom of the section I have chosen. For example, if I wanted to move "Create WBS" above Hold Project Kick off meeting, but NOT indent it under "send email to resource managers..." - does the Move function work that way? Jilena Simonson Kroll Ontrack, LLC

Level 2
Hi @Vicky Fitzgerald , Thank you for your comments. So, as for the edit mode only when Gantt is open, we do have plans to bring it out of Gantt, but in the frames of an effort to deprecate the Legacy Gantt we decided to have it in the Gantt. But please note, that you can do edits on the task list just the same with the version that you currently have in your preview environment. Please also note, that it will still stay in preview only for this release. As for the general undo on the projects, would you mind clarifying what other actions you would like to be able to undo in addition to what the edit mode provides? @Jilena Simonson , @David Cornwell the version you currently have in your preview is the old version, that's why edits are available only on the chart itself and the task related actions get disabled. I will put a request in place to have the newest one enabled for you so that you can check it out. I will let you know when it's done. @Vic Alejandro , I will enable it in your preview environment as well. Anna Asatryan Workfront

Level 10
@Anna Asatryan , could we please get the function on Tasks list enable within preview too? :) Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 6
I am also adding that having this functionality in the regular task list view is crucial for us. Even after years of trying, no one here is a fan of the gantt charts. We currently do have the undo functionality within the gantt chart in Preview, but it's still kind of clunky and honestly isn't what we were looking for. Our users do not want to open the gantt view every time they edit a task, because honestly they have no other reason to. They just want to do their work as normal but have a ctrl+z like undo functionality. Thank you! :) Brittany Jones Project Manager, Marketing Operations DICK's Sporting Goods

Level 7
Hi @Anna Asatryan The general undo functionality we would love and really benefit from would be any action that is performed in the normal task list view, i.e linking predecessors, changing dates, moving tasks etc, the option to be able to hit undo and it go back to how it was before the last action was performed. Please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything else. Thanks, Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited