Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Checking if field data = numeric value (equivalent of ISNUMBER)?

Level 3

We have an issue where some users accidentally enter a non-numeric value in a custom field. This has resulted in downstream issues with some of the python/API scripts that we run to load data into projects.

I'd like to create an exception report where I could check if the custom field has a non-numeric value and where the field is not blank. I reviewed the list of expressions available in WF and didn't see anything that would work.

Anyone have any creative suggestions? Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Hrug,

I often refer to this Calculated data expressions reference in such cases, and for your Is This Numeric challenge, can suggest a few options:

• In your exception report, make a column to attempt to take the square root using SQRT: rows with non numeric entries (provided they are > 0) will return values, but otherwise, an error
  • Similarly, you could filter for rows where "My Field" is Not Equal to "NUMBER(My Field) + 0", since a number will be the same (5 = 5 + 0), but a string will not (apple <> apple + 0)
  • Best of all, though, if it's possible, would be to change that parameter to be a Number, rather than a Text, so you'll avoid the problem in the first place by having Workfront deny entry of anything BUT real numbers

Regards,

Doug

Level 3

Thanks Doug. On the last suggestion, can you please elaborate? Do you mean format the custom form field as a Number? Anything else I can do to reject non-numeric input?

Level 3

Think I got this figured out, but another way. I created another calc field that checks the LEN() of "My Field". If length of the data in "My Field" is <> 12, then it returns "Error". Now I can report on the "Error" field separately in a report.

Level 10

Hi Hrug,

Glad you got something worked out. What I was referring to was the data type of the Custom Parameter: when you create it, you could choose "Number" instead of "Text" to ensure that only numbers are allowed to be entered.

Regards,

Doug