Expand my Community achievements bar.

Changes to Proof HQ

Level 1
Where are the tabs in the upper left when you have multiple versions of a proof? Showing them in a drop down is harder to navigate. The change from colored buttons/fields to just white text for all the tools makes navigating around the proof much more difficult. And where is the row of comment tools across the top after you click "add comment"?? It looks like a drop down of tools now. This is so much harder to use. When making these drastic changes, your developers really need to consider how this effects the novice user! It is hard enough trying to get our clients to work in Workfront - when they can't clearly see the tools, it discourages them from using it at all! ESPECIALLY when changes to the interface are FREQUENT and SIGNIFICANTLY different than previously. My recommendation would be to test for feedback on these major changes before rolling out updates!
21 Replies

Level 10
agree. For now, go to the Settings cog, and select "Use expanded markup tools" -- this will bring your comment tools palette back and make it stick. -skye

Level 10
Skye if you weren't my hero before, you certainly are now. I hadn't noticed that setting and it was the thing with the most complaints -- that the tools don't show. Does anybody know how I can make that the default to be turned on for everyone, rather than the default turned off? This is especially important for non-licensed reviewers who don't see proofs that often, it would be so helpful for them to see the tools by default so they don't forget to use them. We wind up with a lot of comments where a novice doesn't use a tool and then the comment is an orphan that is impossible to know where they were looking when they wrote it. Jill Ackerman | Director, Product Marketing Lindblad Expeditions 96 Morton Street | New York, NY 10014 Ph. 212.261.9080 | Fax. 212.265-3770 jilla@expeditions.com | "http://www.expeditions.com/"> www.expeditions.com

Level 2
Agreed! It seems usability/intuitiveness have been sacrificed for a "cleaner" look. Clean isn't necessarily more functional - colors give instant visual cues, saving time and avoiding confusion for infrequent users. And having to dig into dropdowns when there's plenty of space to have the version tabs, and markup tools in plain sight is NOT an improvement. It's great that you went HTML5, and it seems very responsive, but please restore some of the more intuitive design/interface choices that have been lost. Alan Golub Major League Soccer

Level 10
thanks Jill :) -- I only know about the setting because I lobbied pretty hard for the palette to return. In terms of how to communicate this out to all users, I have to say I don't know. I contacted all my power users and asked them to turn that setting on, and it didn't 100% work (today I had a user contacting me to ask where her markup tools went). I have a governance group meeting today so I will be taking the issue to them (how to communicate to users in their area). I'm currently considering logging in as everyone and setting up their palette for them, OR just asking people to report orphan comments and retraining those users 1:1. I'm not looking forward to either scenario. If it's a big problem for your user base, my advice would be to gather some stats (number of users this would impact?) and talk to your CSM to try and get this escalated to the Proof team. -skye

Level 3
Does anyone know what happened to the text edit markup tools in the proofing viewer? (Insert, replace, delete, etc.) We use them constantly when proofing our publications and I don't see them now. Barb Pilarski Pittsburgh Penguins

Level 10
@Barb Pilarski -- go to the Settings cog, and select "Use expanded markup tools" -- this will bring your comment tools palette back (with your text tools) and make it stick. -skye

Level 6

Barb, The text options are a little hidden in the new viewer. Click Add Comment. Select the Select Text tool, highlight whatever text you want, and then the text options will appear. See the attached screenshot. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation0690z000007ZiHDAA0.jpg

Level 3
Thanks! I had seen your earlier comment on that and tried it but it didn't work. I will clear my cache and try again! Barb Pilarski Pittsburgh Penguins

Level 10
@Barb Pilarski - let me know if we need to jump on a quick web conference call to share screens and get you sorted out. Also as Jared mentions below, some of my users have forgotten that you must click on the add comment button first to get any tools to display -- maybe it is the same in your case? Hope it's an easy fix either way. -skye

Level 3
Thanks all! After my cache clear and restart all seems to be working again. Barb Pilarski Pittsburgh Penguins

Level 3
I am New to Workfront, so I will have to go in and change the setting on each proof, correct? Or is there a setting cog I can change for Workfront Proof so all proofs will change? Pat Patricia Howay Flagstar Bancorp, Inc.

Level 10
@Patricia Howay - changing the settings will set it up for your account (all the proofs you view). Other users would have to change their own accounts. -skye

Level 3
Thank you Skye Patricia Howay Flagstar Bancorp, Inc.

Level 1
We also have a lot of complaints about the "Darker" interface with users, their is no folder icon either to quick link back to the other proofs in the same folder. The adding of a additional version - is different - Ive heard both positive and negative feed back . Jasmine Slaga

Level 10
One more thing: if the proof you are looking at is a jpg or other picture format the Text tool disappears because there is no "text" in a picture. We don't use a lot of formats so I can't say exactly which are which, the Text tool always shows up for a PDF but not for a jpg. Jill Ackerman

Level 1
Does anyone know if in the new reviewer you have the ability to view "full list" still? In the old reviewer you could set full list and then all the replies would be expanded. It doesn't look like this is an option in the new reviewer. Marissa Hindman The Henry Ford

Level 10
correct: "full list" is not an option in the new viewer. I'm a little confused by the support notes on this topic. It doesn't say it's planned, and it doesn't say it's not planned. So... I don't know. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003941334-Understanding-Differences-Between-the-Various-Proofing-Viewers" title="https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003941334-Understanding-Differences-Between-the-Various-Proofing-Viewers">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003941334-Understanding-Differences-Between-the-V... -skye

Level 10
One more thing I just noticed about the new ProofHQ is that the list of who was shared the document no longer shows their email notification options. The only way that I can find to see the user settings is in Proof details in WF, not within the Proof itself (which means exiting the proof, going to details – this is going to be fixed in the next upgrade). I am having so many problems with the roles/notifications changing based on .... I don't know exactly what ... depending on when/how/why/where someone shares a proof is how the notifications/roles are auto-assigned. The defaults work only from the "add recipients" within the proof but all other sharing options ignore the defaults. I had at least 5 complaints about this yesterday because my designers don't want to be slowed down to review and change them every time they upload a proof or version. I'm exhausted just thinking about it �� Jill Ackerman

Level 10
Support confirmed the bug in the proofing tool and not being able to highlight text for mark up. Unfortunately there wasnt an ETA provided but my sources have told me its an "All hands on deck" problem. Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 6
@Marissa Hindman we had decided to discontinue the Full list option because we could see that most people were not using it in the Legacy Proofing Viewer. Could you tell us about how you have been using it? Andrzej Muca Product Manager Workfront