Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

cant upload from MS project

Former Community Member
I am unable to upload a project from MS project into workfront, I see where it says I can do it but when I try I get an error message. Is this user error or am I not alone? Nathan Dana | Project Manager ODW Logistics | 400 W. Nationwide Blvd. Ste 200. Columbus, OH 43215 d: 614-549-5026 | c: 614-432-6684 | "http://www.odwlogistics.com/" www.odwlogistics.com
4 Replies

Level 10
Oh gosh, there are a lot of reasons why it won't upload. If you are able to send it to me privately, I can try to upload it into my instance and let you know if I get the same error. Eric.Lucas@crowley.com What error message are you getting? Thanks, Eric

Level 7
Hi Nathan, You can only import Microsoft Project files that are an xml formatted file. That said, there are often little nuances that get most folks. The best option would be to go and download a blank kickstart of the object type you're importing (project in this case) and see what columns are bolded, as those are usually the required columns. If you can get the file to Eric to look at, he's a great resource to use for help, or you can contact our support folks and open a ticket with our Customer Care team, then one of our Tier 1 support reps will take a look at and help out. Best of luck! Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 4
Nathan, I strongly suggest that you try this import in your preview sandbox first. It's been a good while, and it might have been user error, but the last time I imported an xml-formatted project file, it came over with a status of Current, and Workfront did a best-effort translation on the resource names. The result was that every task that was assigned to "Project Engineer" triggered an email to "Patrick Enghoffer!" Good luck and Happy New Year! ~Jeff Jeff Rieth Fujifilm Medical Systems

Level 10
Good thing Patrick is a good sport, right? �� Sounds advice! Eric