Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Cannot group by Company Name of the User the task is assigned to

Level 3
So, we are trying to group, in a task type report, by Company Name of the User the task is assigned to. We cannot do it through text mode in grouping because it is a matrix report. So I am trying it through forms. I was able to sub group by Job Roll.Name in a form, but we can only 1st level group by Company ID of the user assigned. We cannot get it group by company name. We would even settle for Home Team Name or Home Group Name but we can only get the IDs to work. I have tried every form type with Company ID.Name and a whole bunch of other stuff to no avail. Screenshot attached. Any suggestions?
7 Replies

Level 10
John, maybe less "suggestion" and more "cheat", but what I would do is add a calculated parameter called "Name Of Company" to a custom form behind all users and point it at Company.Name, and then in your matrix report, group by Name Of Company. Regards, Doug

Level 10

Hi John,

Another tip (originally also from Doug) is that text-mode Matrix grouping is possible via the following process:

https://one.workfront.com/s/question/0D50z00006Px4z0CAB/text-mode-matrix-report

Regards, David

Level 3
Thanks Doug. We tried that, a few times, as a Task form, as a user form and as a project form and when it did show as an option (such as the task form) it returned "No Value" on the report :(. Thanks for responding.

Level 3
Thanks David and Doug! This will take me a but I love a challenge. Cheers!

Level 3

Hi David,

I gave it a shot and it works as long as you levage prepackaged selections seems to dump the text code tweaks I make when I switch to Matrix mode. For example with the following groupings the report looks great in 'non matrix mode' Below is what is works in standard mode but when I switch over it drops the "company:name" grouping and moves Job Roll to the vertical axis. drops the Company name and moves Job Roll to the vertical axis.

textmode=true

group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn

group.0.namekeyargkey.0=project

group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name

group.0.linkedname=project

group.0.valuefield=project:name

group.0.valueformat=string

group.0.orientation=H

group.1.namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo

group.1.namekeyargkey.1=company:name

group.1.namekey=view.relatedcolumn

group.1.valuefield=assignedTo:company:name

group.1.linkedname=assignedTo

group.1.valueformat=string

group.1.orientation=V

group.2.valuefield=assignedTo:CS_Job Role Name

group.2.linkedname=assignedTo

group.2.valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

group.2.namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo

group.2.namekeyargkey.1=CS_Job Role Name

group.2.namekey=view.relatedcolumn

group.2.orientation=V

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Level 8
Like Doug's first suggestion, I am also a fan of using a calculated field on the user custom form. This is the calculation you would use: CONCAT(Company.Name)

Level 10

Hmmm…it used to work…..do you not need DE: at the beginning of the custom field name in the green section?