Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Can you auto-populate a manger timesheet

Level 6
is it possible to auto-populate a manager's time sheet with all of the projects that their direct reports are assigned to? This would allow a manager to not be added to each and eery project but still be able to bill time against the project (not task level) without having to hunt and peck through each employee's jobs. Has anyone done anything like this?
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi: You can manually add all the projects to a timesheet, then pin everything to the timesheet. As projects are added to the Manager’s team, you would have to manually add it to the timesheet and then pin it. I don’t know of any way to automatically add anything to a timesheet without assigning them to a task on that project. If you add the manager to a Project Management type task in the project template, then every time a new project is created, the manager is automatically on the project. When the project is approved, it automagically appears in the manager’s timesheet. Not many good options… Let me know if this doesn’t help. Eric

Level 6
Hey Eric, Thanks for the options. we have so many projects / requests that come in at a velocity that none of those are going to be good working solutions. Optimally there would be a way to show "projects that your direct reports are assigned to" or something but i'll keep digging

Level 10
Oh, yes, there is no doubt. Do you want this because your manager has to charge time to the projects his/her team is working on? While there are other ways to get visibility into what people are working on, I’m betting it is because the manager has to charge time to all those projects. Open a product feature request, that’s the only way to get the product changed. Thanks, Eric

Level 6
That is exactly what we want to do, and having to hunt for all the jobs that their employees are working on is a non-starter. and manually adding each individual job is a challenge as well. We also don't want to ahve place holder tasks for them because it just creates nonsense tasks

Level 10
We have this issue as well. One of the things we did though and one you might want to explore is that we have a dashboard for a team manager that lists all their team's projects. You can right click on the project to open it on a new window and then on the updates area, you can log time against this project. Easier than adding to timesheet and having to unpin those projects later on.

Level 6
Thanks Polly That's actually what I was just exploring as a fall back option. Obviously not as elegant but at least gets everything into one place. Thank you I'll let you all know if I find any other solutions. On Sep 2, 2016 9:23 AM, Polly Co wrote: We have this issue as well. One of the things we did though and one you might want to explore is that we have a dashboard for a team manager that lists all their team's projects. You can right click on the project to open it on a new window and then on the updates area, you can log time against this project. Easier than adding to timesheet and having to unpin those projects later on. -----End Original Message-----

Level 10
{{Polly}} Clever idea… I forgot about adding hours that way. Eric