Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Can't change Task Constraint

Level 10
Hi - I've looked at this too long and I haven't figured it out as yet. I can't figure out why I can't change the task constraint on a task that is not yet started, in a plan that is approved/active. When you edit task, the task constraint is grayed out. I can't change it here (see below) or anywhere. I'm a sysadmin, so permissions shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the answer is obvious, well, to some, not to me. Anyone have ideas? Thanks, Eric Lucas Eric MPM eric.lucas@crowley.com Crowley Information Technology
6 Replies

Level 7
Hey Eric, Check to see if it's assigned to an agile team, and if it is, the constraint can't be changed, and the task (story) will align with the iteration it's on. Hope that helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 4
Nor is it obvious to me. I do see that the Duration Type is also grayed-out, which might be a clue. The dates are well in the past: could this be a life-after-death thing? Try logging in as the task owner? Check predecessors and parent task? Any other tasks with this issue? If not, delete and restore this task? Of course you've manually reset your timeline. Not obvious. Can't wait for the answer. Good luck. ~Jeff Jeff Rieth Fujifilm Medical Systems

Level 4
its could be just as simple as the job being marked complete. sometime i have to go back and revive a project to add a task or change it once a "on hold" is going to start again... that being said i have to flip everything to planning then fix the task, then move it to current. Also sometimes the overall project dates are past, and i am trying to change the task date, but it wont let me because of that. I really have never see my constraints be grayed out on the project view. Not sure if any of this will help. But sometimes it is just a simple step. Samantha Williams GameStop Corp.

Level 10
Samantha Williams – Thanks for your response. The tasks are in both not started and in progress statuses. None are closed/completed. Thanks again! Eric

Level 10
Dustin Martin gets a Gold Star for his refrigerator today! Every task with a grayed out Task Constraint was assigned to an Agile team. Bingo. Good job, Dustin! Eric

Level 7
Glad you figured it out Eric! One of the customers I support has actually helped us shape our Agile processes to what they are now, so I have had to learn quite a bit about Agile functionality. It also helps that I know the main guy over the Agile team fairly well. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful weekend. Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront