Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Calculating #Days to Resolve an Issue

Level 2
We have a variety of issue request queues. I am trying to figure out how to build a calculated field that will give me the WorkDayDiff between the date of the initial ISSUE, and the actual completion date of the PROJECT used to resolve the issue. We would love to get a visual on how quickly we are resolving issues. I originally thought that the start date for the ISSUE would carry over to the planned start date of the PROJECT, but that is not the case on a consistent basis. For example, I just looked at a project that reportedly just took one day to complete, but it doesn't take into account that the ISSUE was sitting out there for over a week. Has anyone had experience with this? I am wondering if there is a way to pull the ISSUE date into the PROJECT, even if it is as a custom field, or Is there a way to do a calculated field across the two? Thanks for the help.
3 Replies

Level 5
If you create a custom field on the issue that captures the creation date and the same custom field on the project it will transfer I don't have the exact syntax but it's about: IF(ISBLANK(ISSUE_CREATE_DATE_FIELD),CreationDate,ISSUE_CREATE_DATE_FIELD) So if the field is blank set it, else keep it the same. On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Steve VanWagenen < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > We have a variety of issue request queues. I am trying to figure out how > to build a calculated field that will give me the WorkDayDiff between the > date of the initial ISSUE, and the actual completion date of the PROJECT > used to resolve the issue. We would love to get a visual on how quickly we > are resolving issues. > > I originally thought that the start date for the ISSUE would carry over to > the planned start date of the PROJECT, but that is not the case on a > consistent basis. > > For example, I just looked at a project that reportedly just took one day > to complete, but it doesn't take into account that the ISSUE was sitting > out there for over a week. > > Has anyone had experience with this? > > I am wondering if there is a way to pull the ISSUE date into the PROJECT, > even if it is as a custom field, or > > Is there a way to do a calculated field across the two? > > Thanks for the help. > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 2
Thanks for the quick reply. So to restate: I create a calculated field in the ISSUE custom form, which I will call "Date of Request" For the calculation, I would use - IF(ISBLANK(Date of Request), Planned Start Date, Date of Request) I then add the “Date of Request” field to the custom form for the project that will resolve the issue and it pulls in the ISSUE request date. I can then do my WORKDAYDIFF calculation between the Project Actual Completion Date and the Date of Request Correct? Seems like it is working and will be great to monitor the TAT on these issues going forward. Any thoughts on making this retroactive to pull in the request dates for issues that have already been resolved? Thank you. Steve

Level 5
Correct. I love to add timestamp calculated custom fields like this to capture specific business events that aren't built in. I then often create 2 types of calculated fields: Number fields with time between date stamps and business rule fields that mark that time period as Great/Good/Bad/Error etc. Once the timestamps are captured, the business rules can be modified as needed without impacting the original data (such as allowing an additional x hours beyond the completion date to get End of Day requests that come in at 5:45 pm instead of 5 pm) The business rule field then becomes the basis for color-formatting reports/grouping/pie-slices and the number fields become the data that drive averages and the other data to fill reports. On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM Steve VanWagenen < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Thanks for the quick reply. > > So to restate: > > - I create a calculated field in the ISSUE custom form, which I will > call "Date of Request" > - For the calculation, I would use - IF(ISBLANK(Date of Request), > Planned Start Date, Date of Request) > - I then add the “Date of Request” field to the custom form for the > project that will resolve the issue and it pulls in the ISSUE request date. > - I can then do my WORKDAYDIFF calculation between the Project Actual > Completion Date and the Date of Request > > Correct? Seems like it is working and will be great to monitor the TAT on > these issues going forward. > > Any thoughts on making this retroactive to pull in the request dates for > issues that have already been resolved? > > Thank you. > > Steve > > -----End Original Message----- >