Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Calculated Field - Project Number - Not populating when converting Task to Project

Level 4
We use a calculated field to generate our new project numbers - here is the expression: IF({Existing Project Number?}="Yes",Existing Project Number,CONCAT(Brand,"-",Reference Number)) This works well when we are initially generating issues, which are then converted to projects. We can reference old jobs if it is a change to existing assets, or if it is a brand-new request, then it gets a fresh job number. The trouble we are finding is that if we end up converting a task into a project, then this function does not work. I've been trying several ways of adding the form in order to trigger the calculation, but it won't work... Any suggestions? Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.
3 Replies

Level 4
Update - it took me a bit of thinking on this to understand the logic. When issues are resolved by projects, the project number calculation references the Issue Reference Number. When we convert Tasks to Projects, there is no Issue to draw the reference number from. So- the real question is: How to write an expression that looks for an issue reference number, but if none exists, then it references the project reference number, itself? Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.

Level 8
Dear Greg, You've talked about the custom field on the issue (request) form. To carry it over, you need to add the same field to a custom project form that is attached to the project. If you haven't done this before, in the custom form dialog box in the top right there is the default 'New field' option selected. Instead, click on 'Field Library' next to it. Then start typing in the field name to find the project number field from your issue form. This will come across without a calculation in it. The only calculation you need is 'Existing Project Number'. (I used 'Test Project Number' instead of 'Existing Project Number' when playing with this) Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 4
Thanks for the feedback, Barry. After sleeping on it, I took a look at the logic the Workfront Solution Designer used - it originally read: IF({Existing Project Number?}="Yes",Existing Project Number,Project Number) The tool didn't throw an error, but I realized that this was simply a circular reference (how can I give you a Project Number if I'm pulling this data from a field that I'm trying to calculate?) The logic needs to be: IF({Existing Project Number?}="Yes",Existing Project Number,CONCAT(Brand ,"-",Reference Number)) It then draws from the reference number of the project that was just created out of the task. Since tasks are deleted when converted to projects, there is nothing to "look back" at, so the project reference number serves well - there is no reference chain to break. Hope this helps someone out, if you use a similar setup and are having issues... Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.