Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best work processes NEEDED!

Level 2
Hi Everyone - We have been with WF for about two years now and it is time for us to re-vamp our work structure. In the beginning, we just wanted everyone to get accustomed to the new software and actually use it for their projects. Now that everyone knows how to, we would like to have the same structure in our projects throughout all teams. Our colleagues vary in "tech savvy-ness" some are super precise and use predecessors, and some put one task for the ENTIRE project. We want to capture all work so Leadership can see how much is on everyone's plate as well as how many steps consume a task, a project, etc. Can anyone help me come up with ideas to move forward to my department? Many thanks! Jill Jillian McGovern Project Manager NYU Langone Health New York, New York E: jillian.mcgovern@nyumc.org P: 646.754.7358
7 Replies

Level 5
Hi Jillian, What we did at implementation 2+ years ago is sit with each team to build their initial project templates. They told us what steps were required from start to finish, then we estimated duration and planned hours (based on historical data from our previous system, plus gut checks along the way). We now periodically review templates with each team using real Workfront data to see what needs to be adjusted. The teams are then able to say 'remove task 3, we don't actually do that ever' or 'add another task with #6 as its predecessor'. Something to note, since day one we have only allowed our Project Managers to be able to create & delete tasks (using Access levels). Our workers can't mess with their projects then. So we have a high expectation set on our dedicated project managers to adhere to the templates when possible, but they also have the ability to make adjustments on the fly as the project demands. Hope that helps some.. happy to share more detail if needed. Best, Brian Brian C. Mauger Bloomberg L.P.

Level 2
Thanks so much Brian. We started with templates, but with a new software colleagues were hesitant / resisting using them. So we allowed PM's to develop their own projects so they can adjust but now we are ready to build reports and streamline all projects so my idea was to go back to templates. How do you structure your duration? I want to use Planned Hours so Leadership can know an estimated amount of time people are using. Thanks again, Jill Jillian McGovern Project Manager NYU Langone Health New York, New York Email: jillian.mcgovern@nyulangone.org Phone: 646.754.7358

Level 1
Following along on this one! (I had originally replied and then realized there was already a thread in motion. #newgirlhere) Leigh Burger Strategic Customer Success Manager Workfront

Level 4
I agree with Brian. We started with templates and continue to use templates except for personal projects. Our templates use predecessor as well. Only project managers can add or delete tasks from projects. Team members can notify the PM if a task needs to be added and for tasks no longer related, we use "Not Needed", which sets the task to complete. Rochelle L. Webb, DM, CSM Interim Director, Project Management Office My Health My Resources (MHMR) of Tarrant County O – 817-569-4146 M - 817-897-3654 Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the original message from your system.

Level 3
Jill, Assuming I'm understanding the question correctly, the duration needs to be set to the amount of time expected to complete the task, taking things into consideration like... is the task assignee dependent on someone else to take action before he/she can to the task? If so, that estimated amount of time would be the duration for that task. For example, we have three layers of Reviews - peer, manager, and executive. The planned hours for each of these tasks would be the same, but the duration would be different, because it takes longer to get time with an executive. So in this example, here is how we would set the timeline: Peer Review = Duration .5 day Planned Hours 1 hour Manager Review = Duration 2 days Planned Hours 1 hour Executive Review = Duration 4 days Planned Hours 1 hour If there are no circumstances that would delay the task assignee, you can list the same time frame for duration as planned hours. So if the task is Revise Flyer, then it's possible the duration would be 1 hour and the planned hours would also be 1 hour. Debbie Scalf BCBST

Level 2
Thank you everyone for the feedback! Jillian McGovern Project Manager NYU Langone Health New York, New York Email: jillian.mcgovern@nyulangone.org Phone: 646.754.7358

Level 10
Hi Jillian, If users have the flexibility to build projects however they want and won't conform, then your best bet is to focus on the correct use of assignments on tasks and issues instead of the structure, hierarchy or complexity of the project. What I'm referring to is an on the importance of understanding assignments, planned hours, duration, planned start date, planned completion date, and job role. If users understand how to do this, then you can report out the "assignments" from the projects and it won't matter what methodology they do or don't apply. Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions