Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Best Practices when a Workfront User Leaves the Company

Level 1
Curious how you all handle a Workfront user leaving the company. Obviously, you can disable their account, but how do you handle when they're still assigned to tasks, are tagged for approvals in ProofHQ, and have created projects that are still open that will need to be assigned to someone new? We've recently had a "superuser" at the Plan level quit and they're literally entwined in almost every project we have in the Workfront system. Could you all respond with your best practices and tips? Mandy Engleman Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10
we have a dashboard showing everything that a user could possibly be assigned to that is used for vacation coverage but also for situations like this. It's up to the team who lost the user to let us know who to transfer the work to, although we can also just download the report and they can assign it out to whoever best fits the need. -skye

Level 8
We have a couple different protocols in place for these situations. If the individual is a worker or planner and leaves of their own free will, we run reports to see everything they were assigned to and/or owned that is still active. Their supervisor is responsible for either reassigning the work or letting us know who to reassign it to. We give them a couple business days to do that (and reset the user's password in the meantime). Once everything is reassigned, we go ahead and deactivate them. If the individual is let go, we immediately reset their password, reassign everything to their supervisor, and deactivate their account. In the case of a superuser leaving or being let go, it is up to the unit leader to tell us who the work should be reassigned to. Mohini Sinha, CSM Project Coordinator Excelsior College

Level 2
This is why we try not to assign names to projects/tasks. We use their job roles as assignees. This way anyone with a role that is assigned to a particular task can update as necessary. Paula Mitchell Creative Services

Level 9
Much like Skye, I set an Employee Exit dashboard. Every report has a prompt so I can enter the target user's name and send a report to their supervisor to reassign as necessary. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 9
Hi Anthony - I'm working on something like that now. I was trying to capture items by object type but it sounds like you already have something mapped out. What are you using that's successful. I like the sound of that - Employee Exit Dashboard. Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 9
I kept it fairly simple- projects they own that are not marked as completed or cancelled (grouped by status), tasks not marked as complete (in projects that are Active, Planning or on hold, grouped by project), incomplete issues either owned by or assigned to them (we don't use issues much, but I'm nothing if not obsessive). All that is in a single dashboard and I run the reports before deactivating the account. I don't know of a way to make the prompts work (entering the user's name) once they've been deactivated which would be nice for those times where one of our other admin-level users deactivates someone... Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 10
Anthony: you can probably copy/paste the user's ID string into that space. e.g. Assigned to ID / Equal / 00x00x000000000x0x0000xx00x0x0x0 -- if it works, you'll immediately get the option to select that user just as if you had typed in their name. And of course, these users show up when you run a global user search, so it's easy to get the string to copy/paste. OP: The only reports I would suggest adding to Anthony's, are template tasks assigned to the departing person, and templates owned by them--and the latter only because I consider the template owner as the process owner, and feel like it's important to ensure someone else has stepped up to that ownership. You might also try for some sort of approvals audit to make sure the person isn't an approver on an approval process. There are other potential report opportunities like "pending document approvals" or "who reports to this person"--these are optional, IMO. (Nice for cleanup but wouldn't break a process) -skye

Level 6
Here's my working list of what I've seen Workfront does when you de-activate a user. They are: Automatically removed