Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best Practices for Naming

Level 1
Hi All, Not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but my Communications department is in the middle of implementing Workfront and as we get closer to launch we've been considering the best way to apply naming conventions for items like, tasks, projects, programs, and portfolios. I figured I'd reach out to some other users to see what best practices you may have identified. If anyone has any good suggestions, please let me know. Thanks! Ashley Tanzillo
3 Replies

Level 1
Hi Ashley, below is how I set ours up similar to how it works on the Agency side. Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can possibly be helpful with. Thanks so much, Alena Portfolios, are set up as Client, Discipline or Campaign Projects, all projects are named by a short version of the portfolio, job # and fiscal year Tasks, all tasks are just my schedule for the job, I add an archiving task to every job so that is not forgotten. Alena Thomson

Level 10
In general, we use our Clients as the Portfolio; the Brand as the Program. We use SAP for job management, so the Project Name is typically prefaced with the SAP Job #. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 5
Hi, Ashley, We have standard naming conventions: Project names are Salesforce #, Company, Brand, Tactic Type (and then if there is additional info, it goes on the end) Task names are Actor, Action, Object (again, if there is additional info, it goes on the end) The Actors are usually a job role. Example "Creative Develops Design Shell" Where we have the same task done several times, we add 1, 2, 3. Example, "Med/Legal Review 1", "Med/Legal Review 2" The reason we put additional info on the end is to make it easier to sort by task names in reports. Hope this helps! Alana Alana Coble WebMD