Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Automated Emails from Workfront?

Level 7
We currently have tasks in projects that are assigned to a person to action but once this has been completed, 4 other teams would like to be notified that this has taken place. Is there a way to send out an automated email off the back of a task completion? People in the other 4 teams may not have been assigned to any of the tasks or have had any contribution to the project beforehand. Thanks in advance! Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited
6 Replies

Level 9
That sounds like a tough one. I've only come up with 2 possibilities, each with strengths and weaknesses: 1. Subscribe those users to the task, that should trigger a notification upon completion. This unfortunately would need to be done manually for each user as it doesn't appear that you can add subscriptions in project templates, nor can you subscribe Teams to a project task. 2. Assign those users to the task, allotting them 0 hours so as not to eat up their time in the Resource Planner. The potential downfall here is the potential confusion in being assigned to a task where you don't actually have anything to do.If its the same 4 teams in all cases, you could make a "Notifications Only" team to help differentiate between information and actionable task assignments. I hope that helps a bit. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 9
Hi, Vicky. Sounds like you need a customized event notification: i.e., "when X event happens in Workfront, send a notification to person/team Y." Workfront recently made it possible for you to do this using the API. I intend to explore this further if my development team's burndown list ever gets short enough; it would be nice, for example, to have a certain team get pinged every time a certain type of project gets created. If you have someone with some API chops on your staff, have them look at the article here--

Level 4
I would love to know this too. I tried looking it up and found a task approval that could route to you peeps for "approval" once the task is marked complete. (set up a task status in set up to reflect complete pending approval". This may not be what you are looking for, but could be a tiny work around if no one else replies. Samantha Samantha Williams GameStop Corp.

Level 7
Hi @Anthony Pernice Subscribing was the first thought that we had but we also noticed that you couldn"t subscribe via a template and also people won"t want to go in and do every one manually. Upon having a closer look I haven"t seen the option to subscribe to a task, only to subscribe at project level? Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited0690z000007ZhksAAC.png

Level 7
Hey @Eric Manning We are starting to look at how we can use APIs to replace some of our current manual workflows and this is definitely an option but just need to try and learn APIs first! Thanks Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 7
Hey @Samantha Williams I think for now the suggestion for us was to use approvals as the notification although this isn't ideal as we potentially have tasks after this task too and wouldn't want those to be held up. I think API will be the best route going forward if we can master them! Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited