Expand my Community achievements bar.

Approvals and Dates

Level 1
Hi everyone, We've been on Workfront for about and year and we want to start using the task Approval feature more prominently. I'm trying to find a way so that when an approval is rejected it returns the task to the previous owner creating a cycle of work/reject/work/approval essentially. I know I can do that by assigning the approval to that specific task, however that seems to create an issue where the original task owner can't differentiate between the time available for the task and the time for the approval. Am I missing something here? Is there an easy way to distinguish between the two? Right now, we handle approvals by adding in approval specific tasks which solves the date issue, but then we have to manually add tasks/manage issues if the task is rejected to get it back to the writer/designer to make the required changes. In absence of other options I'm leaning towards this implementation and attaching approvals here to take advantage of the approval routing tools, but I was hoping others may have some suggestions on other ways we could handle this.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Nathaniel, So, what are the expectations regarding the approval? Do you want to give the approvers a fixed amount of time to action the approval before they are deemed to be late? I don't think there is a perfect solution, but I would have thought that overall it would be better to have the approval process applied to the real task, rather than adding a separate approval task and the extra initial and ongoing maintenance overhead that would require. Regards, David

Level 1
Correct. At least from a planning perspective I would like to have some formal indication of how much time is allocated for a review though I know in practice that will rarely be adhered to. Here's the issue we're having. Let's say one of my writers has a task that I'm going to give her 5 days to complete. Once that task is complete I want to have the PM and the Client review hence the need for adding approvals. If I add the approval step it will add 2 days to the Planned Completion date (assuming we have Approvals set to add 2 days to the task). The problem is that those 2 days get added on to the time allowed for the task so instead of seeing the original 5 day delivery window the writer now sees 7 days. Granted with the right views set up, the writer can identify that an approval is required and calculate in her head the amount of time she has to complete the work and allow for the approval process to meet the desired date, but I would prefer to keep the original 5 day timeframe visible. This is not an insurmountable issue, I just wasn't sure if I was looking at this the right way and if there is in fact a way to easily split this apart. As far as the review cycle is concerned, this is the ideal approach since the rejected task will go right back to the writer, I just want to make sure that the deadline is clear and isn't padded by the additional of the approval.

Level 10
Hi: We struggled with the addition of a fixed number of days to every task that has an approval workflow. The number of days actually varies for us. What we did was create a separate task to model the work to review. When that task was set to In Progress, it kicked off the approval workflow. It didn’t impact the prior task to create the deliverable, which was closed when the review task was made in progress. Add a task! Thanks, Eric

Level 10
Upon further consideration, I realize my solution doesn’t address the situation where they reject the artifact and the originator needs to work on it. I think there are options you can consider: 1) You make rework part of the review task. That way you can track how long it took to make it and how long it took to make it all better; 2) You can just leave the Creation task open when you put the artifact in review. If the artifact gets kicked back, the originator can charge time to the Creation task. You lose the visibility into rework, repair, and retrofitting of the artifact. Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question. Thanks! Eric

Level 1
Thank you Eric, I think option 1 might be viable if we set the statuses correctly. I'll dig a little further into that.