Expand my Community achievements bar.

API query for converted currency values

Level 10
We have projects with varying currencies and exchange rates. In the Workfront UI you can have a project report show a list of projects with their local currencies including the currency symbol. Or, you can choose to display it in a specific currency with conversions already having been done for you. Doing a search with the API, as far as I can see it will always return the local currency value, and you can of course also find out the currency type and rate, and do the conversions yourself. However, is there any option to specify the currency and have the API return the values already converted? I have tried using a Report via the API and it seems to sum the mixed local currency values (not very useful) rather than giving a converted amount. Any ideas appreciated. David Cornwell
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10
Hi David, This might be over the top (you're shocked, I'm sure), but nevertheless... A few years ago I designed a solution that stored date-sensitive currency exchange rated values in custom data fields on Expenses and Tasks to poke and preserve accurate-over-time fiscal amounts in the corporation's official currency (USD, in that case), noting that as a multinational, different (country based) Portfolios had differing currencies on their Projects. With that common USD amount available across all objects (albeit "custom"), rollup reports in that common USD currency became accurate and trivial...as would an API call, in your case. Regards, Doug P.S. As I recall, it also included a special Project for each currency/year with one task per day on it to store that day's exchange rate (pulled from a forex service online and pushed in to WF via the API for lookup and charting purposes: the proverbial cherry on top of the crystal palace. Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App: https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=3e032b... Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Not shocked at all, Doug! :) Always interesting to hear some of the interesting solutions you've built! I've not had to go down that path regarding storing a converted amount at specific times, because our finance system works in a similar way to Workfront where the exchange rate (for certain related reporting anyway) is fixed as at when the project was created. I can see that your solution would also work in our case for querying via the API. Not sure if the overhead of the additional custom field calculations is necessary for our use case though...I will just continue to convert it externally I think. Cheers! David Cornwell