Expand my Community achievements bar.

Anyone understand how STRETCH in text mode column width functions?

Level 2

Hey everyone,

I am trying to improve readability of a view and varying levels of "stretch" seem to be impacting the results. Many thanks if someone can point me in the right direction.

Tim

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi Tim,

Here’s a trick: on a view’s column, click Advanced Options, then set the Custom Column Label to Field_Name_________ with as many underscores as you wish to force the column width.

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

I take "stretch" lines out altogether. Shout out to the WFPro folks for this You Tube video that I find extremely helpful when it comes to column widths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFWN9_eRjU&feature=youtu.be

Level 2

Thanks Doug and Leigh,

I see both of you are avoiding Stretch in your column width control. I understand that as the simple fix, thanks. Also the video shows how it works with 1 column floating by defining all the others, or floating 2 equally by defining all the others - that is also useful. Appreciate your responses.

Tim

Level 10

Of course, my sense of curiosity, and the completionist in me, still wants to know what Stretch (and Section, pointed out in the WFPro video) is…does it do something, or is it legacy in the built-in reports and no longer obeyed?

I also saw one, can't find it now, that essentially was a hide flag…so you could include a column but not show it (which has come-up as a need in the past) without resorting to other trickery.

This sort of things drives me a little nuts "not knowing." 😋

Level 2

Hey Kevin,

I would also like to know, because I think it has to do with allowing the columns to expand at a different ratio than evenly divided between not fixed columns. So far I have had no luck in finding it in WF help. Perhaps I will try that again - if I find something I will add to this thread.

Level 10

That was always my suspicion (ratio or "percentage of unused space") but just not enough To Do bandwidth to test. It's a "nice to have" when I have lot of "must have now" testing to do. 😁