Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adding Issue level fields on a project report or on a Project custom form

Level 3

Hi Folks,

I have created issues in a project - lets say I am trying to track the number of errors in each iteration by using a custom field on the issue named "DDI | Post-go-live audit No. of errors". The caveat is that I need to calculate and see how many total errors were logged in a project (Sum of this field across multiple issues on the same project).

I have written this custom calculated  view in a Project report. Not sure how I can sum all the values in teh field on this report. Let me know where I am messing up this text mode formula please. 

The text mode formula:

valueexpression=IF({DE:DDI | Type of Audit}="Design" && (DE:DDI | Audit Phase}="Post-go-live audit", {DE:DDI | Post-go-live audit No. of errors})
listmethod=nested(issues).lists
valueformat=int
displayname=Post-go No. of errors
textmode=true
type=iterate

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi @NelsonSoans,

I see a (DE: that should be a {DE: in the middle of your formula:

valueexpression=IF({DE:DDI | Type of Audit}="Design" &&(DE:DDI | Audit Phase}="Post-go-live audit", {DE:DDI | Post-go-live audit No. of errors})

If that then renders for each Project row, great...but I expect you'll then see a list of either nothing, one, or multiple entries for each such Issue on each Project.

As Designed, although Workfront's  iterate functionality allows a parent object such as Project to loop through child objects such as Issues, it does not support aggregations (or sorting), so that list is As Good As It Gets, since you can't get the total you seek.

What you can do is create an Issue report that does the math either dynamically using a valueexpression similar to what you've attempted, or in a calculated parameter on the custom form of each Issue (e.g. called "DDI | Post-go-live audit error", such as this:

=IF({DE:DDI | Type of Audit}="Design" &&{DE:DDI | Audit Phase}="Post-go-live audit", 1, 0)

That formula will resolve to 1 when true and zero otherwise, so if you then group your Issue report by Project (with Collapse set to true by default), include that column in your view, and set it to show the SUM, the grand total you seek will be presented at each Project's blue grouping row.

Alternatively (as longtime readers will see coming)...

If you'd prefer to achieve your actual requirement of (simply) one row per project with the totals but without all the detail noise, I invite you consider our Magic Reports solution, which allows us to create informative and professional custom reports tailored to your exact specification that render in real time from right within Workfront.

To encourage you that it is possible, one of our most recent reports allow users to:

• navigate to a Portfolio
  • click their Financial Summary tab
  • chose a from and to date, then click View Report
  • in seconds, see the rendered report which automatically retrieves one page per program in which costs and hours are then rolled up by account code from custom data stored across all of the appropriate underlying expenses within all of the appropriate projects, including trending between the from date to the to date

It's cool stuff, and so valuable to be able to condense it succinctly within Workfront. Happy to chat further via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug

Thanks a ton for taking the time to reply Doug!!

I have fixed the formula replacing the ( with a {

Unfortunately this is being used in a report which has a lot of project related fields, some fields referencing Task based custom fields and others referring to issues. I was expecting a similar response from you because I know its not possible based on whatever documentation I could find on Experience league. 

With regards to Magic Reports, I did see the pricing and unfortunately this is something that my organisation wont be willing to spend on. Thanks again!!

Employee Advisor

@NelsonSoans Because issues are considered a collection of a project (1 project, multiple issues) there isn't a way to SUM these values on a project report. I'd recommend creating an issue report that filters for specific issues and then grouping the results by Project Name so you can get a total. 

Level 3

@NicholeVargas thanks.. Like I responded to Doug, unfortunately this is being used in a report which has a lot of project related fields, some fields referencing Task based custom fields and others referring to issues. I was expecting a similar response from you because I know its not possible based on whatever documentation I could find on Experience league.