Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Actual Dates - Just when I thought I had it all figured out...lol

Level 3
Hello WF Global Family, I had taken the information from my previous question back to a coworker and they hit me with this question, it's pretty deep, because it also had me questioning how does workfront report on late tasks. Here's what they mentioned: "Do you know whether Workfront looks at the last task as the way to determine whether a project is late, or does it look at the date/time that the project stats was actually set to "complete". In other words, if you complete all the tasks, the project status can still be "in progress". If that is the case, doesn't workfront still consider that project late, even though all the tasks were completed on time? Maybe a better question is -- in our report about projects that are late, is it just counting projects with a status of "in trouble" compared to project "on track"? I see that if I change the date of the last task to beyond the planned due date, it sets the status to "in trouble", and if I change that final task's actual completion to a date BEFORE the due date, it changes it to "on track". If the report is just measuring on track vs in trouble, then we're probably good!" This got me thinking about reporting and I know we can create out own filters/groupings but now I'm questioning what is more ACCURATE when reporting late projects/tasks. Going off the actual dates, planned date, status of report? Just confused overall, if someone could help! MarisolCamposCreative
1 Reply

Level 8
The short answer is WF doesn't look at the project status to determine progress status. Progress status is calculated for each task, and the progress status looks at the critical path (effectively last finishing task) to determine progress status. If you mark every task in a project as complete, but leave the project status as 'current' for three months, it should remain 'on-time'. If after three months you add a task, it would recalculate the project progress based on that task (so typically, as soon as you added a task it would have a 1 day duration either one day after the project end or 1 day after the project start, depending on where you put it, meaning the task would be late and so the project would be. Once you edited the task, if the planned completion date was in the future then the project would be back to on time). https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Progress-Status-of-Tasks-950434723 https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Differentiating-between-Projected-and-Estimated-Dates-125... Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia