Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Action List to Convert Templates from Completion Date to Start Date Schedule Mode

Level 2
HI, I am wondering if anyone out there has a checklist of bases to cover when overhauling a template that was originally set to run from Completion Date and which now needs to run from Start Date. I want to make sure I've thought of everything needed. Here's what I have so far: 1. Create a working project from the existing template. 2. Change "Schedule From" in the Edit Project dialog to "Start Date". Set new Planned Start Date. Save. 3. Step through plan tasks and re-validate Durations, Plan Hrs and Predecessors. 4. Retrain PMs on functionality shift in plan using sample use case; i.e. convert request, set up project details, set anchor tasks, Task Constraints and Duration Types. 5. Create new Template. Are there any other touchpoints you would look at or discuss with PMs to shift their thinking from Completion Date running projects to Start Date running projects? Cheers! Steve Steven Hirsch Estee Lauder Companies, Inc
4 Replies

Level 10
I think you nailed it from a technical standpoint. On the mindset change I would emphasize that it's OK that your Planned Completion Date changes. In fact, it's ideal. This doesn't mean your implementation date has changed (yet). The project plan should reflect your estimated timeline at this particular point in time. And each time you update it (I recommend weekly), the idea is to know as early as possible when things are sliding ( and by how much ). Then it's easier to adjust. If that planned completion date doesn't move, you don't know how far off you are. If you update it every week, then every week then know where you're headed and you know where you are. And you adjust or hold the course accordingly. Now, when I say update it weekly, I'm referring to your current and upcoming tasks (not re-do the entire plan – some people have misunderstood that). But the important part is you WANT that Planned Completion Date to move to show you where you're at. It's not to say you're changing your advertised completion date. It's just showing where you are now. Then you can decide if that advertised completion date needs to change. So we always have two dates (at least) – Implementation Date and Current Project Plan Implementation Date. The former is your advertised and committed date. The latter is what your plan currently says. Then you can see if you're a day behind, no biggie. If you're a month behind, time to start adjusting to reel the date in. But if you update the plan weekly, it's more difficult to become more than a week behind in one sitting. So again, more time to react and adjust. An analogy I use, is think of it as driving across the country. You have a date you want to arrive (which doesn't change – unless it HAS to). So you google map your drive and route. As you're driving you encounter delays, road blocks, etc. Google let's you know how late you are and you can check options to adjust. Without it you don't know when you'll arrive. Your project plan is your Googlemaps. Hope that helps.

Level 10
I concur, Vic; and to extend your Road Trip analogy, suggest: The six printouts of your Google Map you left in the recycling pile back at home from trying to decide which route to take are like previous Baselines The screenshot you (luckily) took on your phone of the the Google Map route you intended to travel before you ran out of cell phone coverage is like your Default Baseline Your college buddy commenting on the scenery and occasionally shouting driving advice from the back seat is like your Projected Dates ...which, depending on how you feel about your buddy, are often ignored. I think all these concepts apply for both Finish From Start and Finish From Completion Projects, Steven; but would add that most of us find driving backwards a little trickier. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
HA HA HA - I LOVE the Projected Date analogy. And driving Backwards.

Level 2
Thanks Guys! Excellent advice and feedback. Much appreciated. I used to practice driving backward in college; didn't work out. I crushed my little Subaru's trunk lid under a high tractor trailer I did not see. LOL . :-) Cheers. Steven Hirsch Estee Lauder Companies, Inc